How can I have filename as a visible caption on photos

I have several hundred digital images that I have edited and saved with a meaningful filename.  I would like to produce a slideshow and then burn to DVD with the filename as a caption, preferably (but not necessarily) without the filename extension (e.g., my photo.jpg would show as "my photo").

I have software (Pinnacle Studio) that will import either photos or a DVD, and I will create my slideshow with Studio since I am familiar with that software, but Studio will not automatically create captions.  Retyping the captions for each slide will be labor intensive and may not be necessary.  I have a couple of programs that will produce a caption using the filename, but they are old and do not have an option to burn a DVD - only to run the slideshow from the proprietary software.  I also have Ulead PI 6 and Adobe PS Elements 6.  I'm running Vista and have another computer with XP so I have the photo software that comes with those.  I haven't yet found anything that will prepare a file of photos with filename as caption that I can burn to a DVD.

by searching the Internet I have found a few programs for sale that appear to have the capability to do what I want, but I already have hundreds of programs and I don't want to buy another one for only this seemingly simple task.  Is there shareware/freeware/trialware that will enable me to show the filename as captions for my photos and then either burn a DVD or create a file that I can burn with Nero to import into Studio 12 or Studio 14?

Answer
Answer

I have several hundred digital images that I have edited and saved with a meaningful filename.  I would like to produce a slideshow and then burn to DVD with the filename as a caption, preferably without the filename extension (e.g., my photo.jpg would show as "my photo").

I have software (Pinnacle Studio) that will import either photos or a DVD, and I will create my slideshow with Studio since I am familiar with that software, but Studio will not automatically create captions.  Retyping the captions for each slide will be labor intensive and may not be necessary.  I have a couple of programs that will produce a caption using the filename, but they are old and do not have an option to burn a DVD - only to run the slideshow from the proprietary software.  I also have Ulead PI 6 and Adobe PS Elements 6.  I'm running Vista and have another computer with XP so I have the photo software that comes with those.  I haven't yet found anything that will print a file of photos with filename as caption that I can burn to a DVD.

by searching the Internet I have found a few programs for sale that appear to have the capability to do what I want, but I already have hundreds of programs and I don't want to buy another one for only this seemingly simple task.  Is there shareware/freeware/trialware that will enable me to show the filename as captions for my photos and then either burn a DVD or create a file that I can burn with Nero to import into Studio 12 or Studio 14?

==================================
The freeware FastStone Image Viewer may
be worth experimenting with.

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

FastStone Image Viewer
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Add File Names:

I suggest that you create a new folder and add
copies of your photos for experimental purposes.
If you are unhappy with the result your originals
will be untouched.

How to:

"Basic steps to add text to image files
using Fast Stone Image Viewer"

Tools / Batch Convert / Batch Convert tab...

Check the box...Use advanced options...

Advanced Options button / Text tab /
Check the box...Add Text...

Open the drop window..."Insert a Variable"
choose...File Name / Without Extension...OK...

Add the files you wish to append...

Choose an Output Format...

Choose an Output folder...

Click the Convert button...

(You'll have to experiment with position and font
size and color to achieve the result you desire.)

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2020 Views 16,998 Applies to: