Error Code: Photo Gallery can't open this picture, the file format is not supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery__Error Code: This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

I got some pictures in my email when I download to save the pictures it is saved in a ZIP file I have done this before and everything went ok but now when I go to where I saved the picture the error codes come up.
Answer
Answer

Hey maryronnell,

Once you unzip all the files following DavidMCandy's suggestion above, try these steps to fix issues with opening the pictures.

1.    Try opening the pictures in another computer. This will help in determining where the problem lies.

2.    Try opening with other photo application such as  Paint.

3.    In many cases, setting Windows photo gallery as a default program to open picture files has managed to fix the issue. See if there’s any go with it. Refer: Change which programs Windows uses by default

4.    Update Windows Photo Gallery to the latest. Refer the steps under “How do I download and use updates to Windows Photo Gallery?” from the article: Windows Photo Gallery: frequently asked questions

Hopefully one of these fixes the error message.

There are many references on this error message in this forum. You may want to look at one here:  

photo gallery can't open picture or video because this file format is not supported or I don't have the latest updates to photo gallery what this mean?

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2019 Views 2,067 Applies to: