error Code C00D11B1 -vista (32) - WMP 11 - wmv videos not working, but some do - all from same site.

"You've encountered error message C00D11B1 while using Windows Media Player"

Hello, wmv Videos arent working from a site I am downloading them at. (chesslecture.com) However, the videos which have been uploaded from Nov 09-to today WORK, but rather the videos from fall 09-back to 05 don't work.  Streaming the vids work.  I have never had a problem with this error before.  Downloading the older videos has never worked.  I have gone to many forums, and tried what they offered, ie. updated sound drivers (like microsoft suggests when "web help" is clicked), video drivers, deleted drm cashe, downloaded vista codecs, and other "tweaks" that were suppose to fix it.  I have googled the error code tried everything in the forums with no avail. :/  thanks,
-Justin

ps, ive made sure wmp is updated as well as computer. ALSO, Ive tried playing the wmv's with Divx, and VLC, and they are unable to play. 
     *The site had 2 other members with vista and wmp 11 try to play one of the videos that wasn't playing for me, and the vid played for BOTH of the members.
     *I also tried downloading one of the vids on another comp (XP) and it worked-so we know it's nothing to do with the site.

http://strom.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/windows-media-player-error-c00d11b1-solved/ - I have tried everything this forum suggested!!!!

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlupdate.html - I have tried this, and it updates, but still vids don't work.

sfc /scannow - did this...said "found corrupt files but was unable to fix SOME of them."

check disk - via right clicking harddrive/tools/checknow.  It finished and restarted but I don't know what the "results" were;it didn't show me anything. 

system restore?  No.  I don't believe this is applicable for I only became aware of this problem once I began downloading videos from the site, and trying to play them;
                         the more recent ones which work, while the older ones from 05-around october 09 didn't.  The site (see above) uploads a video about once a day.
Disk Cleanup- did this.

*tried downloading codecs "CCCP" as well as K-Lite and others via another post in this forum from member "SpiritX."-still nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :/

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 3,035 Applies to:

Hi Nomind111, 

1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Manage.
  2. In the left pane, click Device Manager.
  3. In the right pane, expand Sound, video and game controllers, and then look for the name of your sound device.
  4. Do one of the following:
    • If your sound device is listed but the icon includes a red "X," the device has been disabled. To enable the device, right-click the icon, and then click Enable.
    • If your sound device isn't listed, in the right pane, expand Other devices. If Multimedia Audio Controller appears in the list, right-click the icon, and then click Update Driver Software. Follow the on-screen instructions to find and install the driver software.

If you aren't able to find and install the correct driver software, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website for further assistance.

If you're trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3 headers, make a copy of the file, and then use a non-Microsoft ID3 tag-editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers.

The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name, and genre). This information is sometimes called a tag. After you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play the MP3 file.

• If this solution does not resolve the problem, the file might be corrupted.

NOTE: Attempting to remove ID3 headers might damage the file and make it unplayable. Therefore, always make a copy of the file before you edit it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/C00D11B1

Try and let us know the result.

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you kidding me?? I don't mean to be rude, but DID YOU EVEN READ MY MESSAGE????

1.) MP3 is not mention ANYWHERE in the message.  Seriously, this is a joke right? My title says VIDEOS. 

2.)  I ALSO specifically told you that 2 other members from this site tried the video.  It's not just one video.  Its all the videos from those past years
  AS I ALREADY STATED.  BUT, we all tried the same video for practical purposes.

i am appalled.  I tried to go OUT OF MY WAY to give as much complete accurate detailed info as possible and you bring up mp3?????

wow, i understand that all the forums regarding this error are usually in response to audio/sound mp3 issues. 

TRY READING WHAT I WROTE. 

PS. I also tried playing the video(s) that werent working on my comp on another comp, (xp) and the VIDEO(s) play fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have EXACTLY  the same issue and get EXACTLY  the same useless information mp3??????  VIDEOS MICROSOFT  and that useless media player 11 is installed and will not remove from my vista home premium i also asked for NON MICROSOFT help as your help is absolutely pathetic if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated ,  whats wrong with you anyway cant you just give an answer ie you need this codec not five million links , or a straight forward answer not here is the technical details ....thats great so when i fall off a cliff you show up and say guess what your falling off a cliff ,,,,I KNOW  we cant help but thats your issue  marvellous , And like the post above my cliff hanger problems dont happen in media player 9  i dont mean too be rude either but its a useless exercise trawling the net too be told over and over again exactly what my problem is  any amublance around ie solutions not links too more links solutions , please excuse my terrible spelling  LOSING MY TEMPER DOES THAT TOO ME

Sorry this didn't help.