Encoding using FFMPEG to WMV8 format, does it require license?

Hi guys,

My software will be using ffmpeg to encode to WMV 8 format and I would like to know whether there's any licensing I need to go through or royalties paid to microsoft. I've tried to read through the windows media licensing page but its all very confusing to me. I hope someone can let me know the simple answer on whether I need any special licensing or royalties to be paid to Microsoft.

My software will be using ffmpeg to encode to WMV 8 format and I would like to know whether there's any licensing I need to go through or royalties paid to microsoft. I've tried to read through the windows media licensing page but its all very confusing to me. I hope someone can let me know the simple answer on whether I need any special licensing or royalties to be paid to Microsoft.

You don't need to pay royalties.

Licensing a Windows-based Application That Reads, Writes, and Edits Content in Windows Media Format

If you are an ISV and you want to obtain the tools to create and distribute a Windows-based application that reads, writes, and edits files in the Windows Media Format, such as players or content-creation, editing, and encoding applications, do one of the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/Licensing_Win_Apps_CustApp.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Hm looks like it but its all quite confusing..can an MVP or someone from microsoft comment?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since it looks like theres no one else I'll try to clarify it myself.

If you download the software development kit (SDK) you can...'create and distribute a Windows-based application that reads, writes, and edits files in the Windows Media Format, such as players or content-creation, editing, and encoding applications'

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2021 Views 991 Applies to: