Driver Installation Failed: Could not find Media device for this driver

I have a HP dv6646us with Windows Vista (32bit) and have had a problem with the sound device. The sound sometimes work, but mostly the system doesn't even recognize the sound output device (in this case, I see that the speaker icon on the task bar with a cross mark). Another pattern is that the laptop does recognize the sound device, but produces no sound (in this case, the speaker icon doesn't have the cross mark). When the system at least recognize the sound device, I can solve the problem by using the Microsoft Fix it 50131. However, when the system doesn't recognize the sound device, nothing seems to work. When I go to the device manager, there is no sound section, not just a driver. The laptop is supposed to use Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver, but when I try to install it, I get the following message: Driver Installation Failed: Could not find Media device for this driver.

In another forum, a person solved the same problem in a system with XP 32bit version by downgrading his memory from 4GB to 2GB based on his knowledge that a 32 bit system can't take 4GB of RAM (he started to have the problem after he first upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB). However, I'm not sure if the same thing applies to my problem since the sound system does work sometimes with the current system with 4GB RAM and also my laptop is supposed to hold up to 4GB RAM (and it does recognize the 4GB RAM). So, I'm wondering if there is any other possibility for a cause and a solution for this problem.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2018 Views 18,514 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

·         Was it working fine before? If so, do you remember making any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?

·         Do you see the Sound device when there is no X on the volume icon?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1:

You may follow this section "Sound from my speakers is crackled or distorted" in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Method 2:

If the above step fails uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers completely follow the steps below:

a.       Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.      Click Continue. The Device Manager Dialog box is displayed.

c.       If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

d.      In Device Manager, click on sound and right on audio driver and click uninstall.

e.      Install the latest drivers audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Method 3:

If the above step fails follow the steps in the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.