"Configuration error" when setup Xbox 360 using Windows Extender in Windows Vista Home Premium

While trying to add my Xbox 360 to Windows Media Center with Windows Extender I keep receiving the following error: "Configuration Error. An error occured while configuring Etender settings. Restart your Extender and computer and try setup again."

I have tried removing the Media Center Extender certficate, and the Network List Service doesn't need to be restarted. I have deleted any computers that were previously linked with my Xbox (there weren't any), and I have tried deleting the Xbox Live Dashboard from my gamer profile in My Xbox.

Windows Event Viewer has given me the following error messages:

Windows Media Center Extender setup failed with the following error code: -205.

Windows Media Center Extender setup cannot create account Mcx1 for device 'uuid:10000000-0000-0000-0200-00125AAA2C01'. Error code: 0x8007012b.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2019 Views 9,912 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you tried right-clicking on the shortcut to Windows Media Center, or the .exe, and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option?

Have you tried temporarily disabling any realtime scanners etc?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

While attempting to use your Xbox 360 console as a Media Center Extender, you receive the error message: "Connection Failed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932163

Event ID 507 — Windows Media Center Extender User Account Creation
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733501(WS.10).aspx

Extender set up fails due to inability to create MCX account
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/63770/304754.aspx

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-au%3AIE-SearchBox&q=Windows+Media+Center+Extender+setup+cannot+create+account+Mcx1+for+device+.+Error+code%3A+0x8007012b&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Windows+Media+Center+Extender+setup+failed+with+the+following+error+code%3A+-205&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=mnfeS6P1H5Lo7APYgZmzBg

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried to run the Windows Extender as an Administrator (which my user already is), and it still gave me the configuration error.

What are "realtime scanners"?

I believe my problem is that my computer cannot create a user account for the extender. How do I rememdy that? I have tried to delete the current user on my computer, but my computer won't let me. There is only one user on my computer, and it says "Valued-PC...etc.", and I am not given the option to delete it. I therefore didnt' bother to try to delete the user account in the registry files.

HELP! I am beyond frustrated by this issues. I have scoured the internet for HOURS AND HOURS trying to find a solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

The "Run As Administrator" option, is different than just being logged on as an Administrator, it enables powerful privilege with greater powers.  I take it you have tried it anyway and it didn't help?

Realtime scanners and anti virus scanners that are running continuously in the background and checking every file that is opened by the operating system etc.  Performing a clean boot will stop most things that are running in the background.

Did you look at the links I supplied were they helpful?

You don't want to delete your current user on the Vista machine, you could use that user to create another Administrative user on the Vista machine, and test with that user.

This example might or might not work for you?

"It seems that the "Run as administrator" command only gives you some administrative privileges, and they're not enough to install Java (and OpenOffice, by association). In order to get around this, you need to actually log into an administrator. Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking start, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out of your regular account and back in as the administrator, where you should be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the administrator account using:

net user administrator /active:no "

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11706#p55879

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/#appliesto

Configuring your Xbox 360
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/extenders/tutorials/extenders-xbox-config.aspx

Have a look in the Event Viewer,  Applications and Service Logs/ Media Center, see what is going on in there as far as errors are concerned.

When looking at the Event Viewer, make sure you are an Administrator.

Better troubleshooting capabilities with Windows Vista's Event Viewer
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6108150.html

Sorry this didn't help.

I checked all the links that you provided in your first reply. None of them applied to my specific errors, and I thoroughly read them and followed any links that were provided by the answers in those forums.

I did the "Run as Administrator" option when running WMC, and it still gave me the configuration error.

I created a new administrative user account, but when I tried to log onto my computer using the new account, and I wasn't able to log in. I had to switch back to my main user profile.

The error messages I get in event viewer are error 205 and 0x8007012b. I have looked both errors up on Microsoft's website, and yet I can't find a solution to correct them except for the "delete all users" option. I know that Windows Extender is failing while trying to set up a user account for my extender.

I had previously contaced Symantec before Microsoft because my first issue with Windows Extender was that my firewall wasn't configured to allow the specific ports needed for Windows Extender. Symantec uninstalled my Norton Antivirus. After I had that uninstalled I tried setup again on WE, and then I received my current error. I won't reinstall Norton Antivirus until I can get this problem resolved, but you are right: it was CONSTANTLY running background tasks.

I am wondering if something isn't wrong with my product key for Windows Vista 64 Home Premium because when I had previously tried to chat with Microsoft I wasn't able to even get to that option as my product key was not accepted. Perhaps this is why I cannot create a user account for my extender? I had read in one of the links you previously provided that Product Keys can be an issue as well.

I will follow the new links you provided and troubleshoot those. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I checked all the links that you last submitted. First off, I tried doing the command prompt that you suggested. After I typed in "net user administrator /active:yes" I received the following error: System Error 5 has occured. Acces is denied.

Then I tried to restor the security settings to their default. After that I tried to run Windows Extender again, and again it failed during the "Configuring Extender Settings" stage of setup.

I check my Event Viewer as an Administrator, and I copied down all the error codes that I saw:

-Windows Media Center Extender setup failed with the following error code: -205.

-Windows Media Center Extender setup cannot create account Mcx1 for device 'uuid:10000000-0000-0000-0200-00125AAA2C01'. Error code: 0x8007012b.

-Windows Media Center Extender setup failed with the following error code: -209.

-Windows Media Center Extender setup cannot configure the Windows Media Center PC for use with the Extender. Error code: -107.

What now? Again, thanks for your help in this matter.

Sorry this didn't help.

System Error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.  That sounds like the type of error you might get if you didn't launch the Command Prompt via the "Run As Administrator" option in the first place?

"created a new administrative user account, but when I tried to log onto my computer using the new account and I wasn't able to log in", that sounds a bit strange to me, was there any reason stated?   If your machine cannot do something as basic as create a new user then any problems that you have may be more serious than just an Extender problem.

When Norton was uninstalled did they just do it via Programs and Features, or did they use their special removal tool?  The reason I ask is that the first removal method may leave bits and pieces all over the place whereas the removal tool is more thorough.

Norton Removal Tool
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080828154508EN

The probable reason why your Product ID upset Microsoft is that perhaps your machine is an OEM install, in which case all FREE support is to be provided via the manufacturer and not by Microsoft.

It is possible for you to uninstall Windows Media Center and then reinstall it, and then try to get Extender setup.  Have a look at Programs and Features/  Turn Windows features on or off/  Media Features/ Windows Media Center.  Untick it to remove it, reboot, retick it to install it.

Another thing you can consider is saving all your valuable data, and using any recovery options supplied by your OEM to restore the machine back to the original factory defaults.

The System File Checker might be worth a run too.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/#appliesto

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello bumblebeetuna,

Here are some more things to try:
For the 0x8007012b see the following informtion in Technet: This error indicates a file copy or permission problem. 
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733501(WS.10).aspx

You just need to remove the Media Center Extender certificate first.

To remove the certificate, follow these steps:
1. Click Start , type mmc in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
2. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
3. Click Certificates, and then click Add.
4. Select Computer account, and then click Next.
5. Select Local computer, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK.
7. In the Navigation Pane under Console Root, expand Certificates,
expand Personal, and then click Certificates.
8. Right-click Microsoft Windows Media Center Extender Host, and then
click Delete.
After you remove the certificate, uninstall the Extender, and then
reinstall the Extender. Follow these steps:
1. Start Windows Media Center.
2. Click Tasks, and then click Settings.
3. Click Extender, and then select the Xbox 360 console.
4. Click Uninstall.
5. After the uninstall process is complete, click Extender again, and
then click Configure.
6. When you are prompted for the setup key, follow these steps: a. On
the Xbox 360 Media Remote, press the Y button.
b. Press the Windows Media Center Start button.
c. Note the eight-digit setup key.

7. Return to the computer, and then enter the setup key.
8. Complete the Extender setup.

If that doesn't help, then you can test for network related issues.

On your Xbox 360 console, you can use the Media Connection test in the System section to help diagnose network-related issues. To access the Media Connection test, follow these steps:
In the Xbox 360 Dashboard, move to the System section.
Select Network Settings.
Select Test Windows Media Center to start the network test.

On your Media Center PC, verify that the network adapter driver is up to date. For help downloading and installing the latest driver, contact the manufacturer of the network adapter.

Make sure that your router is "Designed for Media Center Edition" (DfMCE)-logo certified. For a list of DfMCE-certified devices, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx)

If you have a firewall running on your computer other than Windows Firewall, make sure that the firewall software is configured to enable Xbox 360 to connect to your Windows Media Center computer as a Windows Media Center Extender. Some firewalls are already set up to enable Xbox 360 to connect to a Windows Media Center computer as a Media Center Extender. However, for other firewalls, you will have to change the firewall software configuration. For more information about firewalls and Windows Media Center Extenders such as Xbox 360, see the article that is cited in step 7, or visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites:
Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/firewall.mspx

Please reply back and give us an update.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Norton was completely uninstalled. I have since reinstalled Norton 360 4.0 which is supposed to have all the current firewall settings to allow Extender to work properly. 2) I have visited the website regarding error 0x8007012b, and it offers zero solutions on how to actually fix the error; it just instructs you how to find out if you're having the error and to verify if a certain action was performed. 3) I have tried removing the Certificate loads of times. It doesn't help. 4) I have no network issues. 5) The site you referenced regarding checking if my router is able to work with Media Center didn't work. I didn't see anything regarding routers.

6) Can I uninstall Media Center if I don't have an install disc? Yes, my laptop came with the programs and OS already installed. I guess I should probably just contact HP instead, but honestly I have a difficult time understanding the technicians' English, and I would rather not contact them.

Do you have any other solutions?

Sorry this didn't help.

"6) Can I uninstall Media Center if I don't have an install disc? Yes, my laptop came with the programs and OS already installed"  Is that a question or a self answered question which you have answered "yes" to?

It is possible for you to uninstall Windows Media Center and then reinstall it, and then try to get Extender setup.  Have a look at Programs and Features/  Turn Windows features on or off/  Media Features/ Windows Media Center.  Untick it to remove it, reboot, retick it to install it.

Another thing you can consider is saving all your valuable data, and using any recovery options supplied by your OEM to restore the machine back to the original factory defaults.

Try the OEM Support and if you have trouble understanding the helper, politely ask to speak to the Supervisor, or someone else who you can understand.  You could even contact Support via E-mail, online support, etc.

Customer Service / Contact HP
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I had not tried the option of uninstalling Media Center and then reinstalling it. I will try that next.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.