Windows Vista restart when I download a torrent file

I use Windows Vista Home Edition 32 bits.

I am trying to dowlnlaod a torrent file, but it causes windows to restart.

I first used Vuze to download the file, but when windows restarted, I uninstalled it and used mTorrent but windows restarted. I later tried to download different torrent files, but windows just restarts.

Opneing Vuze or mTorrent only without the download does not cause windows to restart.

Hi,

UTorrent is peer to peer software and there are chances that your computer might have got infected while using the program. I would also suggest you to uninstall the program and then reinstall the latest version.

Step 1: Try scanning the computer using Antivirus software because this issue can occur if the computer is infected with virus. You can do a PC Safety scan by clicking on the link  http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm and Clicking on the Full Service scan and accept the Agreement.

“Uninstall or change a program”  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE DISCLAIMER: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Step 2: Check the same in clean boot.

To put the computer in clean boot state follow the steps in the article “How to perform Clean Boot” http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135      

Note: Please ensure that the computer is set to start as usual by following the step 7 from the article.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Diana

Thank you for your response.

The first thing I did before writing the above was to scan my PC with 3 different anti-virus: malware bytes, trend micro and PC doctor, no infections showed. As for OneCare scan, there are so many posts on this blog warning against the damage it causes to the registry.

When you say Check the same in clean boot, do you mean scan for virus infections after a clean boot? can this be done in the safe mode also?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diana

I am writing to follow up. I downloaded today MS Security Essentials and scanned my PC.

It detected an infection with TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenConnection.EM which seems to be integrated within Java.

Its funny that 4 other top anti-virus softwares did not pick it up.

I know that Vuze uses Java, do you think that is why my PC was rebooting automatically?

Any additional advice about this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diana

I am writing again, because my windows have crashed several times after I wrote last.

I know now why it is crashing, the crash always happen when their is a Windows Vista update downloading and/or installing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

·         Do you get any error message when the computer crashes while downloading/installing windows update?

Also check if the crash occurs when the computer is in Clean boot as I have suggested in my previous post.

Online virus scan can be done in clean boot as well as safe mode with networking.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diana

Thanks for responding.

This occured 3 times now since 09/06.

I am not an expert with reading event logs, but all the system windows logs describe them as an "unexpected shutdown".

There is a : The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto startmessage showing right after the event.

It occurs only when  downloading and/or installing updates without any error messages before or after.

I have my updates set to auto, so I cannot tell if it happens in clean boot or not.

I have scanned with 3 different anti-virus, nothing was detected.

I am wondering if you could help me having my log files reviewed?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2018 Views 1,471 Applies to: