Windows Vista: Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission

Dear Sirs, 

Though I have followed the instructions [1] (Vista, ver. 6.0.6002), I repeatedly get error Event 10016, DistributedCOM: 

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
 to the user %me% from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Is there something not covered by the article [1]? 

Please note, it is my own account, and not "Network Service" that generated this message, and that group "Everyone" has all the necessary permissions granted.

Best regards,
Basil

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2019 Views 2,033 Applies to:

Hi Basil,

1. When did the issue start?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

3. Is your computer connected to any domain?

Step 1:

You can try performing a clean boot and check if the issue occurs or not.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.

You may refer the following KB article to put the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135       

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the above KB article to narrow down the exact source.

Also, after resolving the issue, see the section on the clean boot link to how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual.

Step 2:

If you are still facing issues, then grant the correct permissions to the Network Service account:

a. Click Start, type dcomcnfg in the Search bar, and hit enter.

b. In Component Services, double-click Component Services, and then double-click Computers.

c. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.

d. Click the COM Security tab.

e. In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, click Edit Default.

f. Click Add, type Network Service, and then click OK.

g. While Network Service is selected, click to select the Allow check boxes for the following items:

h. Local Launch

i. Remote Launch

j. Local Activation

k. Remote Activation

l. Click OK two times.        

Hope this information is helpful.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Prassetha, 

Thank you for your reply. 

At the moment I would like to avoid any major experiments like a clean boot and then bringing my laptop back to normal life since it works well, and the only one minor (?) message appears in Event Viewer. 

However, I have filtered my current log, and can report the first time this issue was logged on 27.03.2011 (quite recently) with total number of occurrences 16 to the date. The Application, Security and System Logs do not contain meaningful events around this time. The computer is not a part of any domain.

Could it be some remnants of a possible virus attack? Of course, the system is clean, but it is very often that minor changes in the registry go unnoticed for the most of security packages. 

Best regards,
Basil

PS. Since the issue is generated by my own account, and not by Network Service, I tried to grant the same rights as the group "Everyone" has, but to my own account - explicitly (yes - it does sound meaningless, am I not?). Monitoring the situation: any further suggestions are welcome. 

Sorry this didn't help.

> PS. Since the issue is generated by my own account, and not by Network Service, I tried to grant the same rights as the group "Everyone" has...

It is just to say that my trick DID NOT work out - I still have these odd messages in the Event Log - about 1-6 per day, with no specific pattern.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Basil,

1. Is your computer connected to any domain?

2. Are you experiencing any problems performing any actions or with any programs when you get this error in the event log?

Method 1:

If not, you will need to perform a system restore and check.

You may try a system restore to an earlier point where you did not experience the issue.

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

To perform System restore, you may refer the following link:

System Restore

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Method 2:

If that doesn't help, then you need to perform a clean boot and check.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.

You may refer the following KB article to put the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135       

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the above KB article to narrow down the exact source.

Also, after resolving the issue, see the section on the clean boot link to how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual.

You can also refer the following article for more information:

Event 10016 may be logged in the System log on a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Note: This applies to Windows Vista also

Hope this information is helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, Prassetha, but did not I have answered your 1st question on May 21, and did not replied with the following? : 

"At the moment I would like to avoid any major experiments like a clean boot and then bringing my laptop back to normal life since it works well, and the only one minor (?) message appears in Event Viewer. 

However, I have filtered my current log, and can report the first time this issue was logged on 27.03.2011 (quite recently) with total number of occurrences 16 (now 26) to the date. The Application, Security and System Logs do not contain meaningful events around this time. The computer is not a part of any domain.

Could it be some remnants of a possible virus attack? Of course, the system is clean, but it is very often that minor changes in the registry go unnoticed for the most of security packages." 

Best regards,
Basil

PS. Since the issue is generated by my own account, and not by Network Service, I tried to grant the same rights as the group "Everyone" has, but to my own account - explicitly (yes - it does sound meaningless, am I not?). Monitoring the situation: any further suggestions are welcome. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anybody know the solution?

Sorry this didn't help.