Windows 7 finds errors and recommends to run Chkdsk

I'm attempting to find support on Windows 7 Beta but the Action Center that comes with the beta brings me to the Windows Vista support site. I've made comments and sent feedback but was hoping to find a central forum for others beta testing Windows 7. I'll gladly re-post my question there if there's such a site.

My question (which also happened in Vista)

Windows 7 is finding errors with the file system and is suggesting that I run chkdsk.exe. When I run chkdsk and schedule it to do a scan at next reboot, it doesn't scan, it just continues to load in to Windows 7. "chkdsk c: /F" and then "shutdown -r -t 0"

Some sites suggested that the Windows installation is boogered up. Considering this, I ran "SFC /SCANNOW" to see what was found. The log reported errors that couldn't be fixed and continued browsing through the logs showed some other issues such as "C:\Windows\System32\autochk.exe do not match actual file" which was found in relation to causing problems with chkdsk.exe not running at next reboot.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or words of wisdom?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 42,966 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
n0manarmy, check this forum out: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/, its more on the technical side usually, but there should be enough traffic on it to suit your taste :)

As for SFC, the following link will be able to help you extract the information you need to replace any corrupt files:

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

Windows 7 is ofcourse still in beta, so I send this to you for educational reasons mostly.

as for chkdsk, it is interesting that you are forcing the scan and then prompting for a shut down.
what happens when you do chkdsk /r and when asked to run this at the next restart, type y, and press Enter.

It might be your command that is inaccurate here and not the program itself.

let us know your results, and thanks for using the community.

Rami
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Rami

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.