Turegopt program not found skipping autocheck (How can I fix this problem? My computer boots anyway and I have Windows Vista). I need a simple step by step explanation please.

I have Windows Vista. Recently,when booting, I have been getting the message "turegopt program not found skipping autocheck". However my laptop then manages to boot up. Is this something that I should worry about? Can it be fixed? I know that a couple of people have posted similar messages, but I need a simple, step by step explanation of the course of action to take, as I am not a computer expert. I read that turegopt may be linked to PC Tune Up, but I uninstalled this program a few months ago. I have just checked program and features in control panel and neither PC Tune up nor Turegopt appear in the list. Can anybody help?Thanks.
Answer
Answer
Hi,
Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for providing us an opportunity to assist you.
As per the issue, it looks like you are getting an error
message prompting “turegopt program not found skipping autocheck” when you boot into the computer.
I would like to ask a question on this issue to help you in a better way:
What is the Make and Model if the computer?
Apparently, turegopt is part of Tune-up Utilities developed by Tune-up Software. Sometimes, these utilities are being provided by the manufacturer of the computer.
Perhaps, there still might be some traces of this software on the computer. So, I would suggest you to try out the Microsoft Fixit to fix issue with installation/Uninstallation of any programs.
You can follow the methods:
Method 1:
You can refer to the link to run the Fixit and check if that helps to completely uninstall Tune-up software from the computer:
"Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled "
Method 2:

If the Fixit does not help, there might be some other application running on the computer being held for this issue.
I would suggest you perform clean boot on the computer and check for the application leading to this issue. You may refer to the link to perform Clean Boot on the computer:

Note: Perform Step 3 to boot the computer into normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 3:

Note: I would suggest you to backup registry files on the computer before moving ahead with this steps. You may refer to the link to backup registry files:

This error can come due to malicious entries in autocheck registry value.

To fix this you can follow below steps :
1) Open Registry editor by opening "regedit" from run box.
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager , You will see a vaule name :BootExecute.
3) By default it should have below value. remove any extra values and hit OK.
autocheck autochk *
4) Reboot your computer to test, It should work now.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Hope it helps.

Please reply us if the issue does not gets resolved.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 7,517 Applies to: