"the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll"

I have a Dell desktop computer with Vista. In the last few days, I'm recieveing the message "the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll"  Every program works except internet explorer.  I can't access the internet.  Also, I tried to use system restore, but that didn't work either.  Any suggestions?  Could it be my nortons 360?

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2018 Views 133,549 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dav,

Welcome to Microsoft Community where you can find the answers related to Windows.

As per the description it looks like you are unable to open Internet Explorer due to error message “the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll".

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

a.     Quit all programs that are running.

b.     Click Start, and then click Run.

c.     Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

d.     When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

·         Shdocvw.dll

·         Actxprxy.dll

·         Oleaut32.dll

·         Mshtml.dll

·         Browseui.dll

·         Shell32.dll

Method 2:

I would suggest you to boot into safe mode and test the issue.

Boot to Safe Mode:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 3:

I would suggest you to perform a SFC Scan and check if it helps.

The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.