Question

Q: The disk check could not performed because windows cannot access the disk external hard drive

My computer recognizes my Toshiba External hard drive when going thru Control Panel - Computer Management etc.... but I am getting an I/O error if I try to open a- and the message below when I try to check it for errors.

"The disk check could not performed because windows cannot access the disk"

Is there a way to over ride this and try to recover the files without spending $$$.  I have purchased a new external drive - but would like to transfer some of these files to it if at all possible.

Any help and ideas would be fgreatly appreciated.  I am just a little computer savvy, so try to keep it somewhat simple 

Thanks!

Answer

A:

Hi eileenehernberger,

1.     Does the same external hard drive get detected on any other computer?

Try the following steps:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try changing the external hard drive’s drive letter and check if it helps:

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

Step 2:

Schedule chkdsk /r for next restart following the steps mentioned below and check if it helps:

a. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER after each command:

e:

Note: Where e: is the drive letter associated with external hard drive. Replace it with the drive letter associated with external hard drive.

chkdsk /r

c. When prompted to dismount and schedule chkdsk on next restart, type "Y" (without quotes) and then press enter.

d. Restart the computer.

Disclaimer:
While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

300 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 45,487 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: