Something is wrong with my computer - Do I have a virus, spyware, adware or maleware?

I have a Dell Inspiron 518 - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Ghz - RAM is 6.0 GB - 64 bit Operating System - With Windows Vista Svc Pk 2....I recently had a small yellow shield with an exclamation point popup in the bottom right hand corner of my monitor which said it was a Security Center Alert that kept warning me I was infected with numerous virus' except for the fact the screen that came up when I clicked on it appeared to my computer.  Only the window that pulled up was not what My Computer looks like in Windows Vista.  Since then I read some forums where users had a similar problem and they were instructed to download MalWare Bytes Anti-Malware.  I downloaded the program and it found several suspicious things on my computer like spyware, adware or whatever and it since cleaned it.  I currently have a free version of Norton, Spyware Doctor, MalWare Bytes, Windows Defender and SpyBot.  I did have McAfee but since I switched internet/cable providers I had to uninstall so that I could reinstall it for the current internet/cable provider and of course with my current PC performace I have not been able to reinstall McAfee.  My PC is moving very slow, Firefox gives me a weird message such as:

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertiessocial.answers.microsoft.com.

Internet Explorer 8 states it is unable to connect

EVERYTIME I open a window for both IE and FF I get some sort of error or it is unable to connect or sometimes when it does finally connect my homepage is different such as "Ask.com" or I have typed in www.dell.com exactly right and it brings up as if I Googled it....

I have scanned everything with ALL of the antivirus/spyware/adware/malware detectors I have and they say there is nothing.  Today I found the program Windows and Dell recommended to use which was Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, downloaded it, ran it and it showed nothing was wrong or "malicious" on my PC.

Yet I know something is NOT right, my pc is slow, I have strange things happening which makes getting on the web just to open my email and all day event to go from one web page to the next.

Can anyone help me??  I am a photographer and I have precious wedding pictures on my computer...don't want to lose them.  I have original backups of course and can save work I have done so far if necessary.  Should I give up and just take it into a Computer person to have it fixed?  I am broke so of course I am always looking for the cheapest or possibly free way to fix it..............

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2018 Views 6,189 Applies to:
Answer

Your computer is infected.

And you should only have 1(one) Anti-virus installed, NOT Norton AND McAfee.
More than one installed/running causes conflicts and system crashes.

You say that one of the programs you used was called "Spybot". "Spybot" is a Malware/spyware Program, not a remover of same.

The proper Program name is "Spybot Search & Destroy".

Rescan your Computer wiht each of th e2 Programs below in Safe Mode with Networking.

Read all the info below before starting:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!

Download the Free Version from the link above.

Download, install, update and scan once a fortnight.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.

Download, install and update it.

Then SCAN with it.

Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

Important re: Safe Mode

If you happen to find a problem that you can’t uninstall / delete, reboot the computer, and go into Safe Mode.

To get into Safe mode, tap F8 right at Power On / Startup, and use UP arrow key to get to Safe Mode from list of options, then hit ENTER.

RESCAN your computer with your Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D while in Safe Mode.

If unable to install above Programs in Normal Mode:

Sometimes Trojans, Viruses, Malware, etc stop you installing and/or updating Programs to remove them.

If that happens, reboot into Safe Mode with Networking (from F8 list of Startup Options), and install, update and scan from there.

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.