SFC /SCANNOW log shows file missing/damaged

SFC /SCANNOW result in CBS Log shows b5b43c2eaff17730b308db03e3cda1035 may be damaged. However file has 0 bytes size - Where do I get a copy? or how can I reset this. Plus I can't install any updates as I get an error "The Volume for a file has been externally altered so the opened file is no longer valid". Presumably these are connected issues.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2019 Views 7,615 Applies to:

Hello George Jarman,

Is your computer on a domain by any chance?

If yes, I suggest you to contact your system administrator.

Try to run checkdisk onexternal drive - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks disk volumes for problems and attempts to repair any that it finds.
To correct disk errors, from a command line, type:

chkdsk /p

Then type:

chkdsk /r

NOTE: Before running Chkdsk, be aware of the following:

Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume while it is running. Chkdsk might display a prompt asking if you want to check the disk the next time you restart your computer.

Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources (such as processor and memory).

While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Forgot to mention that this is a Home Premium machine, so no domain involved. Yes I have run chkdsk several times, with the result that everything is fine. Like I said, the main issue appears to be the missing file from the winsxs. Is there anyway of resetting the system so it does not look for this file and therefore is able to re-download and apply that update. I'm presuming it's an update as it does not appear to be a standard file! Surely there must be a way of tracing a link between that file and what it is meant to contain? Unfortunatly a rebuild is not really a sensible option and I would rather get this fixed properly!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Use this method to create SFCdetails.txt which is easier to read than CBS.log.

What is the path to that b5b43c2eaff17730b308db03e3cda1035 - such as C:\Windows\System32
as an example (that does not mean is should be that path) - NOT the Winsxs path.

There is a very good chance its some sort of time file or folder and may not be needed.

See if you can determine where and what that file pertains to - you might be able to make
a Restore Point and then delete the file to the Recycle Bin - then reboot.

========================================================

Many of the files sfc can't fix are not important.

Start - type in Search box ->  CMD   find at top - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

put the command from below (copy and paste it) into that box and then hit enter.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

that creates the sfcdetails.txt file in the folder you are in when you run it.

So if you are in C:\Windows\System32>    then you will need to look in that folder for the file.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
generates in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

That creates sfcdetails.txt  in C:\Windows\System32   find it and you can post the errors into a message
here. NOTE : there probably are duplicates so please only post each section of errors once.

You can read the log/txt files easier if you right click on Notepad or Wordpad then RUN AS ADMIN - then
you can navigate to sfcdetails.txt ( in C:\Windows\System32 ) or cbs.log ( in C:\Windows\Logs ) as needed.
(You may need to search for sfcdetails.txt if it was not created in the default folders.)

====================================================================

If needed : (not that this will replace that file which is probably not a system file)

You can try an In-Place Upgrade or a repair installation.

You can use another's DVD as they are not copy protected however you will need you own
Product Key. It has to be the same 32 or 64 BIT OEM version of Vista. Also the System
maker will usually sell the disk cheap since you already own Windows. Be sure to do a
good backup or 3 (safety in redundancy).

In-Place Upgrade
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vista_installation_using_the_upgrade_option_of_the_vista_dvd.htm

This tells you how to access the System Recovery Options and/or from a Vista DVD
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-happened-to-the-Recovery-Console

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays.

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi guys

The file is not mentioned as it can't read the manifest (the b5b4..blah...blah.manifest file). So is the only option here an in-place upgrade? I'm only asking because I'm trying to learn something about this stuff as we are starting to move over to Windows 7. The problem I had initially was an in-place upgrade was not available due to a rooted amdide.sys file that was "successfully" disinfected by an AV thing (read deleted). That lead to the system not being bootable due 0x0000007E (as a critical driver was missing). Eventually figured that as SFC (with the offline options from another machine), wasn't going to help me I had better find the missing driver by hand. However that left me with the problem of digging around the system to find the correct driver file due to the same issue (lots of 7B inaccessible boot device - except being vista didn't tell me the meaning... luckily I remember that BSOD Code!).

So anyway none of this would have happened with XP as I would have probably given up and done a repair install by this point. But as that option was not available (as the system was not bootable), I just want to know if there is something I could have done better (apart from letting an AV delete a critical system file!). Eventually I did figure out which AMDIDE.SYS archive was the correct one (why can't AMD drivers be nice like Intel and use a different file name to make life easy!). To get to this point has taken several days and a lot of head banging, so I really would rather not give up and say "repair install time"/"in place upgrade" now.

To be honest the other reason I am hessitant in doing a repair install is that if I do ____ it up any further, and if I have made an image or two (say with imagex/ghost/etc), is Vista going to complain even more bitterly about the volume/folder structure being fiddled around with by an outside source. As I have a system pretty much up and running now (apart from not being able to run microsoft updates/SFC), I would really hate to completly destroy it by trying to do a "repair install"; especially if there is a simple way of repairing the damaged file. To be honest I suspect the damage occured due to the rootkit and an over zealous user pressing the off button during an update that was happening to slowly for their own liking!

If it helps here is the appropriate lines from filtered log.

2010-12-16 16:31:12, Info                  CSI    0000019f [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2010-12-16 16:31:12, Info                  CSI    000001a0 [SR] Cannot verify component files for b5b43c2eaff17730b308db0e3cda1035, Version = 6.0.6000.16873, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, manifest may be damaged (TRUE)
2010-12-16 16:31:12, Info                  CSI    000001a2 [SR] Repair complete
2010-12-16 16:31:12, Info                  CSI    000001a3 [SR] Committing transaction
2010-12-16 16:31:12, Info                  CSI    000001a7 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

As mentioned above the manifest file being talked about has a zero size and I even tried to move it out of the WinSXS to see if it would stop the complaining - Obviously it didn't help!

Many Thanks

George

Sorry this didn't help.