Question

Q: server error 553, Error Number 0x800CCC79 Patch This thread is locked from future replies

I have an error message and am unable to send messages on Windows Mail, using Vista - the error message reads:
"the rejected e-mail address was *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Subject: xoxoxoxoxoxo, Account: 'mail.exxxxx.net', Server: 'mail.lrec.xxx', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:  '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number 0x800CCC79

I already spent an eternity on the phone with my ISP and they said I needed a Windows Vista patch for this error. I'm technically challenged. How do I go about finding, getting, downloading, installing this patch. I need to get back to normal . . . .

Hello chuntington,

Thank you for posting.  The error message 0x800CCC79 simply means Server rejected recipients.  Unfortunately your ISP mislead you because there is no “patch” that can take care of this.  This error indicates a problem with the SMTP mail server.   This could also be caused by an incorrect email address.  The error report that you provided is giving an error code 553.  This is not a Microsoft error code but rather one triggered by the SMTP server.  It does provide you with a definition: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.  This indicates that the @xxxxx.com part of the email address is the problem.  For whatever reason your ISP’s SMTP server is not accepting the email address you are trying to send to.  If you know for a fact that the email address you are trying to send to is a valid email address then you are going to have to find out from you ISP why the domain is being blocked by the SMTP server.  At any rate, this has nothing to do with Windows Mail and I have no idea why their tech support sent you looking for a non-existent patch.  Hopefully I have explained this in such a way that you will be a little better “armed” to speak with your ISP again.  I can tell you without a doubt though that the problem is with their SMTP server.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3561 Last updated: November 16, 2017 Applies to: