Remote Desktop connect problem: Vista Ultimate -> XP sp3

Hello,

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm trying to remote connect to my laptop (windows xp sp3) on my lan, using windows vista ultimate. I have all the correct settings, host computer (laptop), is configured correctly to receive RDC. When I connect it asks me for a password, which I enter, and the RD screen remains pitch black (desktop isn't loading). It then proceeds to log out of my account on my laptop, and shortly after the RD connection times out.

This looks like it's caused by my wireless adapter on my laptop shutting down.

so my questions are the following:

1) why is remote desktop not working, even tho I have everything set (fire wall exclusions, both computers accepting RDC. Vista is setup to accept remote connections no matter the version

2) the user account im logging in to at the time on the host computer (my laptop with windows xp), gets logged out when trying to connect to.

3) why is my wireless adapter getting disconnected, or is that normal when you get logged out of your user account?

Thanks.
Answer
Answer
In windows XP, open your control panel, go to administrative tools, then Computer management. Under Local users and groups, click users. Find the user you are attempting to login as, right click properties. Here you can set info on the user, as well as change the user's groups by clicking the 'Member Of' tab. Click the advanced button on the bottom, then find now button, scroll down and find Remote Desktop Users group, then click OK and then Apply as nessesary.

You might also try changing the group policy to allow the network to become available before login. run gpedit.msc, from start->run
Under
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\
Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
Set to enabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/f55326fa-e629-423b-abba-b30f76cc61e61033.mspx#EUDAC

"Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions"

Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions
Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.
Which edition of Windows Vista am I using?

Here are answers to some common questions about Remote Desktop Connection.

Show all
Show allHide all

What is Remote Desktop Connection?

Remote Desktop Connection is a technology that allows you to sit at a computer (sometimes called the client computer) and connect to a remote computer (sometimes called the host computer) in a different location. For example, you can connect to your work computer from your home computer and have access to all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were in front of your computer at work. You can leave programs running at work and then, when you get home, you can see your work computer's desktop displayed on your home computer, with the same programs running.

A Remote Desktop connection between two computers

You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to remote (host) computers running the following editions of Windows Vista:

Windows Vista Starter

Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows Vista Home Basic N

Windows Vista Home Premium

However, any edition of Windows Vista can be running on your computer (the one you want to connect from).

You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to remote computers running Windows XP.

How do I install Remote Desktop Connection?

You don't need to install it. In this version of Windows, Remote Desktop Connection is installed by default.

Open Remote Desktop Connection by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Remote Desktop Connection.

NoteYou can also open Remote Desktop Connection by typing "mstsc" in the Search box on the Start menu.
How do I enable Remote Desktop Connection on the computer I want to connect to?

To allow remote connections on the computer you want to connect to, follow these steps:

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

Click Remote settings on the left.

In the System Properties dialog box, under Remote Desktop, select the one of the three options, and then click Select Users.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you are an administrator on the computer, your current user account will automatically be added to the list of remote users and you can skip the next two steps.

In the Remote Desktop Users dialog box, click Add.

In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, do the following:

To specify the search location, click Locations, and then select the location you want to search.

In Enter the object names to select, type the name of the user that you want to add, and then click OK.

The name will be displayed in the list of users in the Remote Desktop Users dialog box.

NoteYou can’t connect to a computer that is sleeping or hibernating, so make sure the settings for sleep and hibernation on the remote computer are set to Never. (Hibernation is not available on all computers.) For information about making those changes, see Change, create, or delete a power plan (scheme).
How do I change Remote Desktop Connection settings?

Open Remote Desktop Connection by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Remote Desktop Connection.

Before connecting, click Options, and then make the changes you want on the Display, Local Resources, Programs, Experience, and Advanced tabs.

NoteTo save these settings for future connections, on the General tab, click Save.

Click Connect.

Why can't I change some Remote Desktop settings?

Your system administrator is controlling those settings through Group Policy.

Why do I have to enter my user name and password each time I connect?

Your user credentials (such as your user name and password) can be saved on some editions of Windows Vista, but not on Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, or Windows Vista Starter. Even if you select the check box to save your credentials on those editions of Windows Vista, the credentials will be saved only for that session, and you will need to enter your credentials again the next time you connect.

What is a full computer name?

Also known as a fully qualified domain name (FQDN), a full computer name includes the host (computer) name, the domain name, and all the higher level domains. For example, the full computer name of a computer named "host" might be host.example.microsoft.com.

What is a TS Gateway server, and how do I know if I need one?

A Terminal Services Gateway (TS Gateway) server is a computer that enables authorized users to connect to a remote computer on a corporate network from anywhere on the Internet. Ask your network administrator whether you need to specify a Terminal Services Gateway server.

When do I need to use authentication in Remote Desktop Connection?

Use authentication when you want to securely verify that you are connecting to the correct computer. Your network administrator might also require you to use authentication. For more information, see What are server authentication options?

Is there multiple monitor support for Remote Desktop Connection in this version of Windows?

Remote Desktop Connection supports high-resolution displays that can be spanned across multiple monitors. The monitors must be the same resolution and aligned side by side. To have the remote computer's desktop span multiple monitors, type Mstsc /span at a command prompt.

NoteThis feature is sometimes called continuous resolution. To toggle in and out of full-screen spanned mode, press CTRL+ALT+BREAK.
How can I change the listening port for Remote Desktop Connection?

For additional security, you can change the port that Remote Desktop Connection uses (or "listens on"), instead of using the standard port 3389. When you log on, type the remote computer name, followed by a colon and the desired port (for example, Computer1:3390). For instructions about making the change permanent, go to How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop on the Microsoft Help and Support website.

Group Policy
__elbasuer__
Group Policy
An administrative tool for managing user settings and computer settings across a network.
Administrator
__elbasuer__
Administrator
A person responsible for planning, configuring, and managing the day-to-day operation of a computer network.
Remote computer
__elbasuer__
Remote computer
A computer located elsewhere that you can connect to from your computer by using remote access software (such as Remote Desktop Connection) and a modem or Internet connection.
Port
__elbasuer__
Port
A hardware- or software-based interface used to transfer information between a computer and other devices. Hardware ports are physical connections that are visible on the outside of the computer. Software ports are the numbered gateways in programs that software programs use to exchange information.
Authentication
__elbasuer__
Authentication
The process of determining the identity of the user attempting to access a system. For example, user names and passwords are commonly used to authenticate users.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,952 Applies to: