RAM Upgrade

Upgraded RAM from 1Gb to 3gb using http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/ all working ok apart from this minor snag:

Windows Experience Index
Cannot complete assessment.
This assesment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component.
[OK]

"
I'm not worried about the score, it'll never be better than the lowest figure anyway - 3.4 - due to graphics card. I only clicked on that [experience index] trying to find the graph for the CPU's performance. The index said new hardware, click to update figures etc.

There's no further guidance as to what the message refers to, nothing comes up in the reliability checks etc. Should I pursue this? Have e-mailed Crucial to see if they are any wiser. Thanks guys

Hello loxwood,

Thank you for posting.  Did you upgrade by adding a 2GB stick to your system to go with the 1GB already there?  Was the preexisting Ram a 1GB stick or 2 - 500 Mb sticks?  Does your motherboard require that RAM be added in pairs?  Does the new RAM get detected and set up properly in the BIOS?  Do you see all 3 GB of RAM in the system properties?  Who is your OEM or motherboard manufacturer?  Make and model of your PC or Motherboard?  We will need this additional information to be able to troubleshoot this issue for you so please include the answers to my question in your response.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jack. Thanks for the reply. I'll answer as best I can:
Pre-existing was 2x 500Mb sticks.  2x 1Gb sticks installed [matching pairs].
New RAM was detected at switch on [monochrome screen] as 3Gb total

In control panel it shows RAM 3.00Gb

PC is Dell Dimension E520, although in control panel it shows as Dell Dimension DM 061. CPU is Intell Pentium CPU 2.8 GHz  2.79 Ghz.  NOthing else has been changed on the PC since purchase.  It running Vista Home Basic SP2

Other info from the Crucial scan of system: [prior to install]

# Maximum Memory Capacity:  4096MB

# Currently Installed Memory:  1GB

# Available Memory Slots:  2

# Total Memory Slots:  4

# Dual Channel Support:   Yes

# CPU Manufacturer:  GenuineIntel

# CPU Family:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz Model 6, Stepping 4

# CPU Speed:  2793 MHz

their option I selected and installed [of a recommended choice of 4]

2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

CT607737

* Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)

* Package: 240-pin DIMM

* Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300

* Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • 

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.**Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Graphics Support:   PCI Express x16

* Maximum Memory:   4096MB

* Slots:   4 (2 banks of 2)

* Standard Memory:   512MB removable

* USB Support:   2.x Compliant

* Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Hope that was what you were asking, I'm no techy - as you can probably tell!
Thanks Paul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not a criticsm, but I was asked for more info [my qu was http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/f49747f7-034e-4495-bff4-2546a97a5051] gave as much info as I could find, but no reply. Jack where are you, how do I contact you?   Thanks Paul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please be patient. We have some issue with the Forums: today's posts don't show up in My Threads

Thanks for understanding,
Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003. ~~~ My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
---
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider 2016 ~ 2020.
Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert ~ since 2003
Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello loxwood,

Thank you for your reply back!

Have you tried to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file?  To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Please let us know if you are still getting error above.  Thanks!

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

James
Thanks for the reply. I did as above, reply was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

following that I re-ran the experience index and got the same response as above [25th July].

Another website recommended these:

My question:
Upgraded Ram to 3Gb [from 1Gb] using crucial.
All seems to be ok apart from this message:
Windows Experience Index "Cannot complete assessment. This assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component. [OK]
I'm not worried about the score [who cares], it'll never be better than the lowest figure anyway - 3.4 - due to graphics card.
I only clicked on that [experience index] trying to find the graph for the CPU's performance. The index said new hardware, click to update figures etc.
There's no further guidance as to what the message refers to, nothing comes up in the reliability checks etc.
Should I pursue this? Have e-mailed Crucial to see if they are any wiser. Thanks guys

reply:
Yes because it's possible that one of the sticks has a fault on it - it's possible that one of the high end chips is gone - so while it all works fine ... when you fill the ram to the top -
the leak shows up .... even for vista 3Gb is difficult to use - so it will only show on a particularly buisy day
you need to test the ram - simple as that
all free - first works in windows - the last two need burning to cd

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

The manufactures of the upgrade board said:
If you are experiencing programs freezing, crashes or blue screens while using Windows Vista the problem could be caused by faulty or incorrectly setup memory. To help determine if the problem is caused by a hardware or software failure we recommend the Windows Vista Memory Diagnostic tool. It is built into the Windows Vista operating system, simple to use and provides a great first step for hunting down the problem.

To use this tool, please follow these simple steps:
1) Boot the computer into Windows.
2) Once Windows has loaded, click the 'Start' or round windows logo button.
3) In the 'Start Search' field, type:- memory ,then hit 'Enter/Return'.
4) Next a UAC (User Account Control) window may appear, if so click 'Continue'.
5) The next window you should see is the 'Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool'. From the two options provided, please select 'Check for problems next time I start my computer'.
6) It will then confirm that the memory test has been scheduled.
7) Click 'Close'
8) Next, shut down the system. Do not restart.
9) Power on the computer. The system will start to boot as normal and the run the memory test automatically.
10) By default, the test will run 2 passes of standard tests. The time its takes for the test to complete will vary depending on the speed of the system and the amount of memory to be tested. If errors are detected during the test they will be displayed under the progress bar.
11) Once the test is complete, windows will boot as normal.
12) Once windows has fully loaded to the desktop, a message bubble should appear next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen and confirm the results of the test.
13) If no errors are detected, the problem you are experiencing could be software related. Please try updating your system/motherboard drivers and make sure you have the latest windows updates installed.

Nothing came up from that either !  So am I worrying about nothing? Sorry about the lengthy reply
Paul

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2020 Views 2,064 Applies to: