PC Frequently Crashes, Found Corrupt Files

I have a PC that has had Windows Vista since I first bought it. Yesterday it gave me this blue screen error message:

I attempted to restart it twice, but got same error message. The third time I used the Advanced Startup options to run Safe Mode and from there I performed a System Restore back to June 27. After completing the restore and restarting the PC, it seemed to be running fine again for maybe a few hours but has been crashing seemingly at random now.

I noticed it also crashed when I tried to perform disc defrag earlier today. I ran the command prompt as an administrator to use the sfc /scannow function. After the scan I got the following message:

"Windows Restore Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

What should I do next? I don't have the Vista software CD since I've had this PC for 9 years and it came with Vista preinstalled. I would prefer to repair these problems without upgrading to Windows 10, as the PC is primarily used by my dad and he's extremely anxious of change.

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

I uploaded the requested files to my OneDrive here.

Unfornately, the most recent DMP file was from 2015 so I'm not sure how useful those are.

Here are the PC specs:

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz 58 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR2
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0WG860 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
DELL 2007WFP (1024x768@60Hz)
Intel G965 Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Intel G965 Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Storage
298GB Seagate ST3320620AS (SATA) 61 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D
Audio
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A in-page error,usually deals with memory,or lack of it or not configured right.1st,open

disk clean up,locate "other options" tab,locate the clean up restore tab,& click on it,this sets

restore to last good restore point.Once thru,R.click my computer,properties,advanced options,

virtual memory tab.With C: highlited,set to "let system manage" click set 2X,close out,restart pc.

Also,with Sfc,if it finds any errors/corrupted files,etc,once its thru,one needs to type:

CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT  restart pc.Sfc will make repairs on restart,it cant in

explorer.Also,for pc mntce,follow this link

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6559.aspx

Its xp titled,but all OS follow the same tech

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A in-page error,usually deals with memory,or lack of it or not configured right.1st,open

disk clean up,locate "other options" tab,locate the clean up restore tab,& click on it,this sets

restore to last good restore point.Once thru,R.click my computer,properties,advanced options,

virtual memory tab.With C: highlited,set to "let system manage" click set 2X,close out,restart pc.

Also,with Sfc,if it finds any errors/corrupted files,etc,once its thru,one needs to type:

CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT  restart pc.Sfc will make repairs on restart,it cant in

explorer.Also,for pc mntce,follow this link

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6559.aspx

Its xp titled,but all OS follow the same tech

I did everything you suggested, including setting sfc to make repairs on restart. After restarting I used sfc again to check if it fixed the problem, but I got the same "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" message. I have not yet looked through the steps in the PC maintenance link you included at the end of your post, but will attempt some of it tomorrow.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 1,736 Applies to: