Question

Q: OS won't boot and cannot restore - Get error code 0x80070002

Don't know what happened but all of a sudden my computer won't start up my Vista home premium.  I have run all the diagnostic that came with my Dell Computer and they show all of my hardware are OK.
I have gone down the whole list of my System Restores that are available from the latest to the earliest
but I keep getting the error code 0x80070002-System Restore Failed due to an Unspecified Error-The System Cannot Find The File Specified  (0x8007002)

Computer Hardware:
Dell Inspiron 531
OS Vista Home Premium 32SP1
4Megs Ram
Intel Duo 4500 2.2Gig Proc
306 Gig Hard drive
Nvidia 8500 256 Megs Vid

Sure need some help been fighting this for a Week. I done all my Window and vista update's
and all my hardware, software, and virus update's.

Answer

A:

Hi crypto74,

Let’s first try using the Last Known Good Configuration, please do the following:

1.       Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

2.       Do one of the following:

·         If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

·         If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.

3.       On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

4.       If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results. If this method does not resolve the issue, don’t’ worry, we have other troubleshooting steps that we can try.

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Brian

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

85 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 85,893 Last updated: April 29, 2018 Applies to: