MMC cannot open the file C:/windows/system32/eventvwr.msc

Original title: Network and Share Centre flashes open and then closes again - may be due to MMC.exe

I am having trouble opening features on Vista which use MMC.  For example, when opening Event viewer, I get an error message "MMC cannot open the file C:/windows/system32/eventvwr.msc" and is then followed by "This may be because the file does not exist,is not an MMC console or was created by a later version of MMC.  This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."  Also, I cannot get in Network and Sharing centre - when I click on it, a window opens briefly and then closes.  I have looked on the net and found other have had this problem, but I have not found the solution.  I did once have the system working, so not sure what has changed.  I have tried the sfc.exe and it found no errors.  Can anyone help please???

Answer
Answer

Hi JLP42,

Did you make any changes to your computer very recently before this issue occurred?

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Try registering msxml3.dll

a.    Click on Start; in the start search type cmd

b.    Right click on cmd.exe and choose to “Run as administrator”.

c.    At the prompt that says “C:\Windows\System32”, type the following command and press enter.

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

d.    Close the command prompt.

Restart the computer and check if you’re able to open windows applications or features.

Method 2: Test the issue by putting the computer into a clean boot state

A clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts. Visit the link below to know how to perform a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once the troubleshooting is over, reset the computer to start as usual.

Method 3: Provide the event log information

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer 

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2021 Views 28,683 Applies to: