Memory Error on Shut Down

I have a new build computer with Vista Ultimate. All updates are installed (though the Service Pack2 was recorded as failed but system properties shows SP2 installed) with IE8 and Windows Advantage. AV is McAfee and Realteck radio is also installed so that I can receive BBC podcasts. MS Accounting and MS Office 2007 are installed for working applications along with Acrobat reader 9

On closing down I get the message: "Explorer.Exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x6d827ed2 referenced memory at 0x6d827ed2. The memory could not be read." However the reference details between 0x6 and ed2 can change from session to session. Sometimes the message flashes on the screen quickly before disappearing as the closure process continues but at other times the message stays on screen until I click OK.

In my efforts to come to grips with the problem I have started my computer and then waited half and hour or so on the profile login screen before closing down. On those occassions the error message did NOT appear. However, in a similar experiment when I logged in as a profile (did not matter which one) and then closed down without using any application programs the message appeared each and every time.

I have no idea as to how I can fix the problem so help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2019 Views 22,096 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Ray,

Are you still having problems with the error on shut down?  If you are I believe we need to run the memory diagnostics to rule out a problem with your system RAM.  You will need to enter BIOS and make sure that the DVD drive is set to be the first boot device.  If you are not sure on how to do this you will need to consult your documentation or contact your OEM support for instructions.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can e solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk 

Boot with your Vista DVD in the Drive.  On the Language Selection screen click on Repair instead of Install.  This will take you to the Windows Recovery Environment.  Run the Memory Checker.  Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.