Error 0x8004230F - The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation

Original title: Error 0x8004230F - Again!

Hello I am getting the error 0x8004230F when attempting to create a restore point with the usual message "The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation". My OS is Vista Basic  and my computer is an Acer  Aspire 5738Z. I have never installed Norton but I have uninstalled Advanced System Care (and uninstalled again. I have Googled the problem and tried the usual fixes through Command Prompt but do they do not work and I have received error messages in the course of  those procedures. Checkdisk neither reports nor resoves this problem. Would be grateful for any assiatnce. Many thanks.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform a clean boot and then check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

NOTE: Make sure that you perform “step 7” in the link mentioned above to boot your computer normally.

Method 2: Restart Volume Shadow Copy service and check if it helps.

To restart the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

a.    Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

b.    Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c.    If the SPP service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.

d.    If Volume Shadow Copy service is double-click it to open the service properties

e.    Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.

f.    Under Service status, click Start.

Method 3: Scan your computer for virus using Microsoft Security Scanner and then check if it helps.

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2020 Views 18,257 Applies to: