Q: Constantly receiving C:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dll Bad Image error messages This thread is locked from future replies

Hi.  Without warning and upon startup on Thursday, my laptop starting giving me the following error message: "C:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installatin media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."  The title in the title bar for the error messages varies depending on which program it's picking on, say "gnotify.exe - Bad Image".  The software varies depending on what's open, usually Outlook, Google Notify, Google Talk, Photoshop Elements. 

Aside from driving me insane and not allowing me to open Photoshop Elements, which is a fickle program to begin with, how can I eliminate these error messages?  A Google search was not helpful.  Thanks for your help!
Heather I used to know computers like the back of my hand... and then I had kids.

(Skip down to the bottom 3 posts)

Hope that helps!

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the help, Cody!  So far so good!  The only thing that worked was the In-place Upgrade suggested in the link you gave:

In-place Upgrade

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

It took a couple of hours with some changes to my IE settings, but everything else appears to be in place.  At least I'm not getting those error messages every couple of minutes anymore--whew!  That was a real drag. :D

I'm glad you guys are here!

Heather: I used to know computers like the back of my hand... and then I had kids.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 6,497 Last updated: March 10, 2018 Applies to: