Cannot start Windows Firewall for Vista

Hello everyone,

I cannot seem to start the Windows Firewall service, in anyway.

I cannot open it through Control Panel, as it simply says: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because this asscioated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service?"

I click "Yes", then it says "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service". There is no error code stated.

I tried to run "wf.msc" using the Microsoft Management Console. When this window pops up, it says: "There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in. ; The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9"

As it seems, I cannot start it this way either.

I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Delete and go to the Services tab, then clicked services on the bottom, and this brings up the Services window.

In the new Services window, I try to start the service, "Windows Firewall". I get a message saying: "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Computer. ; Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

So, this also does not work. The service is set to Automatic.

I found another process called "Base Filtering Engine", which I have found out is related to the use of the Windows Firewall service. So, I try and start this service, and it says: "Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine service on Local Computer. Error 0x80320009: An object with that GUID or LUID already exists."

Yet again, I cannot find a way to fix the problem. Also, the service is set to Automatic.

So if anyone could help me, give me any ideas, or tell me how to fix the problem, this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P. S. Sometimes when I type things in the Command Promt, I get a message saying "The requested operation requires elevation." What does this mean?

EDIT:

Base Filtering Engine
IKE and AuthIPsec Keying Modules
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
IPsec Policy Agent
Routing and Remote Access
Windows Event Collector
Windows Firewall

All of these services do not work, with each saying "Windows could not start the *service* service on Local Computer. ; Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.", with the exception of the Base Filtering Engine service.

EDIT:

I believe that the Bae Filter Engine is the root cause of the problem, because when i try to start it, it says "Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine service on Local Computer. Error 0x80320009: An object with that GUID or LUID already exists.", while all other programs depedent on this service, says "Windows could not start the *service* service on Local Computer. ; Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.".

EDIT:

Hello everyone, I have fixed the problem. The problem was a corrupted file called "secdrv.sys". To fix this, I first had to get the file "secdrv.sys" off of my operating system CD. To do this, you would have to create a partition, and "mount" a file on the CD, onto the newly created partition. The file you need to mount is located and is called: "*:\sources\install.wim". The .wim extension stands for a "Windows Image File" and to see what files it contains, you will need to download something called "Windows Automated Installation Kit". The explicit instructions on the mounting procedure, and where to get this program, is here: "http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86959-access-vista-install-dvd-files.html". Once you have the file mounted, just search the mounted area for "secdrv.sys", then copy and paste it into "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" or where ever your system drivers are located. After this, reboot and the BFE service and all of its dependencies should work fine. Thanks for the help as well SpiritX.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 30,421 Applies to:
Answer
Hello everyone, I have fixed the problem. The problem was a corrupted file called "secdrv.sys". To fix this, I first had to get the file "secdrv.sys" off of my operating system CD. To do this, you would have to create a partition, and "mount" a file on the CD, onto the newly created partition. The file you need to mount is located and is called: "*:\sources\install.wim". The .wim extension stands for a "Windows Image File" and to see what files it contains, you will need to download something called "Windows Automated Installation Kit". The explicit instructions on the mounting procedure, and where to get this program, is here: "http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86959-access-vista-install-dvd-files.html". Once you have the file mounted, just search the mounted area for "secdrv.sys", then copy and paste it into "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" or where ever your system drivers are located. After this, reboot and the BFE service and all of its dependencies should work fine. Thanks for the help as well SpiritX.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.