Cannot open programs unless run as administrator.

Hello.
On my laptop running Windows Vista SP1, I recently got a virus (Vista Internet Security 2010, I believe it was called) that was undetectable to AVG Free Edition. I was forced to remove the program manually, deleting the .exe file for it along with its registry keys. After I did so, my computer became unable to open a program unless it was right-clicked and run as administrator. Certain functions on my computer are now inaccessible due to this problem. I have searched similar problems and have not found any where only .exe files were affected and none of the solutions I found worked.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Edit: I apologize, I accidentally posted this in a different forum than intended.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 69,271 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I assume you know how to enter registry:
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes key. Check if there is any .exe key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe). If so, remove it.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe. Click on the .exe and note the right side of the window where the values are. There should be no values present and the default value should be set to "(value not set)". Same thing applies to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList (no values, default value not set).
In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids key there should be a default value that is not set (as above) and an exefile value of REG_NONE type.
If current settings in the registry don't match up or you don't have any experience in editing registry, download this file and run it. It should replace the regsitry keys as they are on my system (naturally, use at your own risk).
You may also want to create a new account in Windows, log on to that account and see if the .exe files work from that account.

82 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.