"An unauthorized change was made to Windows. You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation. Error: 0xC004D401."

After updating my laptop's avast! antivirus, this message has continued to appear on my computer and I do not know what to do about it:

"An unauthorized change was made to Windows. You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation. Description: The security processor reported a system file mismatch error. Error: 0xC004D401."

I clicked on the link to "Learn more online" and was directed to this website http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx . I am not sure how to use the website to take care of the issue. I close the box each time it pops up and it keeps reappearing. If it's not a problem I can fix, I would at least like to know how to keep this message from appearing.

Please help!

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2019 Views 5,155 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

hi

if you are using Avast that may be causing the problem; uninstall it and get Microsoft Security Essentials instead

and read this:

Error code Description
0XC004D401 The security processor reported a system file mismatch error.
0x80080250 Unrecognized error.
If you received one of the error codes in this list, go to method E.

Method E: Obtain a compatible version of antivirus or DRM software

This method is rated: Moderately easy.

If you were directed to this method, your antivirus software or Digital Rights Management (DRM) software is incompatible with Windows Vista.

To obtain a compatible version, follow these steps:

1. Contact the software manufacturer of the antivirus software or of the DRM software to obtain a version that is compatible with Windows Vista. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    931699  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931699/ ) Error message when you use Windows Vista: "An unauthorized change was made to your license"
  2. Follow the steps in method B to reactivate Windows Vista.

Method B: Verify your product key and use the "Change product key" feature to reactivate Windows Vista

This method is rated: Easy.

If you were directed to this method, you entered an incorrect product key. See the product packaging to make sure that you have the correct product key. Then, follow these steps to use the "Change product key" feature and reactivate Windows Vista:

1. Click Start
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
    , click Computer, and then click System properties on the toolbar.
  2. In the Windows activation section, click the Change product key
    . If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. In the Product key box, type the product key, and then click Next.

Note Check the product packaging to make sure that you are entering the correct product key.
  4. Follow the steps in the Windows Activation Wizard to complete the activation process.

If this method worked, you are finished.

If this method did not work for you, go to method G.

Method G: Activate Windows Vista by using the automated telephone system

This method is rated: Easy.

To complete this method, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
    , and then click Computer.
  2. Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click Click here to activate Windows now in the Windows activation section.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. Click Show me other ways to Activate.
  4. Click Use the automated phone system, and then follow the instructions that are provided.

If this method worked, you are finished.

If this method did not work for you, you might want to ask someone for help, or you might want to contact Support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/) for your next steps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or run a MGA Diagnostics Report and repost in the Vista Genuine Forum

When you login to Vista, a window with several options will be available, select the option to open your  Internet browser.

·        Type:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

·        A window will come up prompting to “Run” or “Save”, select “Run”

·        When the MGA Diagnostic Tool starts running click the “Continue” button, when the diagnostics is complete click the “Copy” button.

·        Paste the report into a thread in the appropriateWindows Genuine Advantage forum

Here is where to repost that MGA Diagnostics Report

Issues relating to the Windows Vista Software Protection Platform - Non-Genuine dialog boxes, validation problems, or software licensing services messages.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/threads

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.