XP PC sees but can't access Vista PC over network. Access is denied!

I have 4 computers on a network.  The network is set up as Private.  The 3 XP Home computers can see each other and the 1 Vista Home Premium PC and can share files between the 3 XP computers.  The Vista PC can see the other computers and can send files to them quite happily.

However, when any of the XP computers tries to get access to the Vista PC I immediately get an error "\\VistaPC is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource etc etc.  Access is denied".

I have turned on Network Discovery, Public Folder Sharing, File and Printer Sharing.

Password Protected Sharing and Media Sharing are turned off but all the Shared Folders on the Vista PC have all their permission set for Everyone as I don't want to have to enter User Name and Password every time I need access.

LLTD has been installed and the Vista Network Map shows all devices and their correct connection; all hardwired through a Netgear Router except for 1 XP wireless connection.

Please help.  This is driving me crazy!!

I am running only the Windows Firewall and AVG Free anti-virus.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 2,565 Applies to:
Answer
Well I finally solved my problem but don't know which action achieved it or whether it was a combination of actions.  If anyone is interested here's what I did.

On the Vista machine I edited the sharing of the Public Folder, all sub-folders and files to be fully shared .

Checked the security settings for all Public Folders, sub-folders and files and set all users to Full Control.

Added "Everybody" as a user and allocated Full Control to this user.

Rebooted after each step but still couldn't access the shared folders on the Vista machine.

In desperation I edited the registry; went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1

Quick reboot and Hey Presto my networking is working properly

My network is secure and so I didn't mind reducing some apparent security settings.  Don't know if this is suitable for everyone but it might give a few clues.

Good Luck

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.