Wireless Connections with Vista - Local Access only on some networks

I am currently running Vista Home Premium + IE 7.0 on a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop and am successfully able to connect to most wireless networks I use at home/work/public etc (both secured and open).  However, there is one location where I seem to be the only one who has continual problems connecting via their wireless router while other Win XP/Mac users do not.  Details of the problem include:

• While I am able to connect to the WAP secured network (for which I have the correct pass-key) this is limited to a Local Access only, thereby preventing browsing and other connection dependent functionality
  • I undertake all of the diagnose and repair tools (with exception of plugging in a network cable as this is not possible at the location) and this does not solve the problem – nor does a power reboot of the router.  All the other likely causes (weak signal, modem/browser configuration etc) so not appear relevant given that everything will connect and work fine as soon as I move to other network locations
  • The initial assumption that the problem is with the wireless router itself is also suspect given that other non-Vista users have no problems; furthermore I am told by the staff that other Vista users have had similar problems connecting as I have at this location and have had to go to MS Support for advice (though I have not found any relevant postings)

Therefore, is this wireless connection issue symptomatic of a known problem with the Vista OS and/or interfacing with certain types of routers?  If so is there a solution available?    

Many thanks for any help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 2,519 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello cash1041,

Thank you for posting your question to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Since I don't know the brand and model of the wireless router, I am not sure if the wireless router is compatible with Windows Vista. You stated other Vista users have had similar problem so this is one area to check. Verify what brand and model of the wireless router they are using and see what version driver is installed.  If possible, get updated drivers for the wireless router. Go to the http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility to check out the compatibility of the wireless router with Windows Vista.

Do you have Norton 360 or Internet Security Products installed on your computer or have you in the past and uninstalled Norton?
I have seen problems with Norton as the uninstall process does not completely remove all components of Norton from the registry. You would need to go to the Norton Website and download their removal tool. I have included the link for the removal tool here.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument
I would try to uninstall Norton and test again and see if you are now able to connect to the Wireless network.

If you still cannot connect or if you don't have Norton installed, please reply back and list the exact error message your are getting when trying to connect to the wireless network.

We will be glad to assist further with troubleshooting for you.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Marilyn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.