wireless assistant has stopped working

wireless assistant has become disabled.I have lost the icon on the task bar and when in control panel the wireless assistant will not open to allow me to enable it.I did get it workingafter downloading wireless assistant driver and Broadcom wireless WLAn driver. When I rebooted after shutdown it was no longer available and I have been unable to get it working again

jim

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2018 Views 11,278 Applies to:
Answer

Bowser Girl   Hope they are not HP Laptops. Contact HP my problem has to do with the adapter on the Motherboard.

They have a number of cases reported the only permanent, only solution available is replacing motherboard as wireless adapter is bad or intermittent

If your still in warranty great I was not. Bought an external USB adapter to solve my problem. Works great. On HP you have to insist they look for the problem as its greater than they want to admit.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I know this is belated, but hopefully it will help others like me. I tried everything to fix this problem. I also have an HP Pavillion dv6000 running Vista. Having worked through this twice, I now know that the problem is related to the battery. Both times this happened to me, I had been running on battery power (battery in poor condition). I used every Microsoft tool, called HP (who wanted me to ship it back to them to be repaired for nearly $400), re-installed drivers and software, and on and on and on.

Here's what seems to work:

Make sure that you have re-installed the wireless network drivers using the Recovery Manager: don't reboot until you have re-installed it (mine were theBroadcom 802.11 Network Adaptor Driver, and theBroadcom Wireless LAN Driver -- Vista). Make sure that you are running on AC. Pull out the battery and leave it out then reboot. You should come up with Vista reloading everything and recognizing your wireless adaptor and be back in business. Don't know what will happen if I put the battery back in but will try it.

It would be interesting to see if just removing the battery and rebooting would have worked as well. Oh well, if you're like me you'll be happy just to get the damn thing working again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.