Question

Q: Windows Mail error code 0x800CCC0F

My Windows Mail software suddenly stopped working and now displays an error code 0x800CCC0F for both receive and sending of mail. I have identical account settings (POP3, SMTP, SSL, Socket, etc) on another PC using Outlook Express that is operating properly. I recently installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and my Windows Mail PC and Mail hasn't worked since. Is there a conflict between the software? How can I restore my Windows Mail capability?

Answer

A:

The error "unexpectedly terminated" is usually caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects. In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled/reinstalled or replaced. A free antivirus that is 100% compatible is available here:

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons explained here:

As an alternative to replacing your antivirus, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive antivirus programs:

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
------------------------------------------------------

"monaro_man" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
My Windows Mail software suddenly stopped working and now displays an error code 0x800CCC0F for both receive and sending of mail. I have identical account settings (POP3, SMTP, SSL, Socket, etc) on another PC using Outlook Express that is operating properly. I recently installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and my Windows Mail PC and Mail hasn't worked since. Is there a conflict between the software? How can I restore my Windows Mail capability?

Here's my error code.  How can I fix it please?  For info, I am not proficient in I.T., so explanation will need to be fairly clear.  Thanks.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'Emailing: APPLICATION ARMS - DRAFT (2).doc'
Server: 'mail.bigpond.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

256 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 243,775 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: