Unidentified Network: No internet access on wireless network

Original title: Unable to access internet through network

My laptop has recently started having problems of being unable to access the internet via the router, even though everyone else connected wirelessly has suffered no problems. When connected via wireless, the computer connects to the network, but also connects to an 'Unidentified Network'. If I try to disconnect from the unidentified network, I disconnect from both networks. Both have Local and Internet connection, but I can't access the internet while connected, though I can access the printer and other computers on the network. When connected via ethernet, however, the computer works fine, and can access the internet properly. When using Windows Diagnostic Manager, it gives me the message of 'Invalid IP settings', but resetting the wireless and generating new IP settings don't serve to solve the problem. 

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 78,742 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Pete278,

·         Did you recently made any changes to your laptop before this issue happened?

·         Did you try running Network Diagnostic Tool built into Windows Vista? If yes, what was the complete result of the network diagnostic tool?

·         What anti-virus software is installed on your laptop?

As of now, I would suggest you to run the fix it from the link given below and then check if you’re able to access the Internet.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our   Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.