Unable to access internet after updating McAfee and Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has message The device cannot start. (Code 10) and network diagnosis gets message Win

Original title: Unable to access internet after updating McAfee and Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has message The device cannot start. (Code 10)

I have McAfee Total Protection on my laptop. It recently updated and prompted me to restart the computer. I suspect the program had a bug. After restarting, I have not been able to connect to the internet. It connects as "local only." I tried unplugging and replugging the cables to the router. Normally, that would work when I get disconnected from the internet. It doesn't matter whether I try to connect to a wireless network or via ethernet cable. I've restarted numerous times. I checked the device manager and found the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has a yellow exclamation mark and says, "The device cannot start. (Code 10)" The device is listed twice with the same error. If I show hidden devices, a third one is listed, but appears to be working. I can't just update the drivers since I can't connect to the internet.

I have done some searching online and found this

video. I found the same instructions in text-form here (by Gokul T).
I've disabled antivirus programs so they don't start when Windows boots. (FYI, I run Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials as well as McAfee.)
I've disabled Windows Firewall.
I made sure the Peer Networking Grouping and  PNRP Machine Name Publication services were running and start automatically.
I edited the registry as directed.
I still have the problem.

I also found this solution (by Frank57192008
).
I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to know first, if my lack of internet access is going to cause any difficulties. If Device Manager scans for new hardware, is it going to need to go online to search for drivers or anything?

Is there any other solution? If this does not work am I stuck reinstalling windows? If I have to reinstall, I might as well just upgrade to Windows 7. I might just end up upgrading anyway, but if there is a quick fix in the mean time, I'd like to know.

Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 965 Applies to:

Hi,

1.       What is the make and model of the computer?

2.       Do you get any error message when you connect to internet?

Method 1:

Refer the site:

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

Method 2:

Run the fixit.

Refer the site:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us?ln=de-ch.

Method 3:

Refer the site:

Troubleshoot Internet connection problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-Internet-connection-problems

You may also refer the site:

Troubleshoot network connection problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-connection-problems

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion tx2508ca running 32-bit Windows Vista. There is no error message when I try to connect to the internet. It actually says "Successfully connected to [network name]," but when I mouse over the network icon in the system tray it says, "Access: Local only."

I tried the "Diagnose and repair" feature and got the following message:

Windows confirmed that "Primary DNS Server" is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time.

This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "domain". Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection.

The following policy might need to be adjusted to allow Windows to connect.

Policy Provider: McAfee Inc.
Filter Name: GUID_MFE_CONNECT_CALLOUT_V4

If the policy provider identified is Windows Firewall, click for information about adjusting Windows Firewall settings. If a different policy provider has been identified, check the provider's documentation on how to adjust the policy settings.

Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection"
Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem.

Ok, if I turn off the McAfee firewall, I get the same message. I searched McAfee's website and didn't find any information on how to allow this. There is a McAfee Virtual Technician that can detect and fix issues with the program, but it's useless unless I can connect to the internet. All I found was a thread with some people having similar issues but it said nothing about any problems with teredo. While McAfee seems to have caused the problem, fixing that in itself isn't likely so solve my hardware problem. Resetting the network adapter did not fix the problem either.

I tried the Microsoft Fix it program. It reinstalled the teredo drivers, but could not fix the problem.

I can still try the netsh solution, but I'm just hoping it can detect the hardware and install the drivers without having to search online for them. =S If that doesn't work, then I don't know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may try these steps:

a. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

b. Go to Networking and sharing center and then click on Change adapter settings.

c. Right click on Local Area Connection and choose properties.

d. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 and click on Properties.

e. Choose Obtain DNS server address automatically and press Ok.

f. Choose Obtain IP address automatically.

i. Repeat the steps for Internet Protocol version 4 as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I followed the steps in the netsh solution and it did not work. I uninstalled the teredo adapters with the errors but still have the third which was working properly. When I opened Device Manager again and scanned for hardware changes, nothing happened. When I chose to Add Legacy Hardware, I got to the point where I chose Microsoft and then a list of network adapters showed up. Teredo was not on the list.

In the Network and Sharing Center I do not see anything that says "Change adapter settings." If I click Manage Network Connections I get a window that shows both Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection, and a button at the top that says "Change settings of this connection." I'm assuming this is what you're referring to. For both IPv4 and IPv6, and for each connection, "Obtain IP/IPv6 address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" were already selected. I deselected and reselected anyway but nothing changed.

It's been more than three weeks since I've had internet access on this laptop. I give up at this point. I'm just going to reinstall Windows. Thanks anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.