Unable to access files on NAS drive using WiFi connection to router

My home network consists of a desk top running Vista Ultimate, a Laptop running Vista home premium, a Speedtouch 585 router and a WDWORLDBOOK 11 network storage drive. As far as i am aware all are running up to date drivers / firm ware etc.

My problem is accessing the NAS drive through the wireless card (Intel(R) 4965AGN) on the Laptop. I can map drives on the NAS copy up files to the drives and navigate the folder structure of the NAS but as soon as I try to access any data windows explorer hangs or after many minutes tells me the folder no longer exits.

I am able to access files via the desktop machine that have been copied up to the drive from the laptop's WiFi connection so they really have been copied up but I can't access them after that in any way via the laptop's WiFi.

I have no problems with the desktop machine (permanent wired connection to the router) or with the laptop if it is wired into the router.

Finally I have tried another laptop running XP and can get full access to the NAS via its WiFi connection to the network.

Any help would be greatly received - just about at wits end.
Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

A.      Are you able to access internet through wireless connection?

B.      Have you installed any security software?

The first thing I would suggest in this case is to update the wireless adapter drivers and temporarily disable any antivirus software running on your computer.

For a computer to get connected to a wireless network you will need check for few things.

Verify that your wireless adaptor is installed correctly

1. Open Device Manager. Click Start, type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. Expand Network Adapters, and then verify that your wireless adaptor is displayed. If your wireless adaptor is not displayed, one or more of the following issues may be causing the problem:

• A wireless network adaptor may not be physically present. You must install a wireless network adaptor before you can connect to a wireless network.

• Your wireless adaptor may not be connected correctly. Turn off your computer, and then remove and reconnect your adaptor.

• If your adaptor is a USB adaptor, there may be a problem with the USB ports on your computer. Test your USB ports by connecting to a different USB device such as a USB mouse. Verify that the USB ports work correctly. If you have multiple USB devices on your computer, disconnect any devices that you do not need.  

3. Verify that your wireless network adaptor appears with a yellow exclamation mark or a red "X"

• A yellow exclamation mark indicates that there is a problem with the device.

• A red "X" indicates that the device is disabled. Right-click the device and then click Enable.

4. Double-click your wireless network adaptor. On the General tab, verify that the device is functioning correctly. 

Hope this was helpful.

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bindu,

Thanks for getting back to me - to answer your questions:
1. Yes I can access the internet with no problem via the wireless connection
2. Yes, I have installed avast antivirus and run Windows firewall - I have disabled both of these and tried to access - no luck I'm afraid and both run fine when accessing the internet with wirless.

As for my wireless adapter there is no indication in device manager of any problem - it says this device is working properly. Additionally I have tried to 'update' the driver only to be informed that the current installed driver is the most up to date. As noted in my original post the device description is: 'Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN' .

I have also tried the registry tweak mentioned in many forums of setting the LmCompatibilityLevel, REG_DWORD value to 1 instead of 3 to no avail I'm afraid.

I have also booted in safe mode with networking, verified the adaptor is working properly according to 'device manager' and still the problem persists - the usual final error message is 'The specified network name is no longer available'

Can you suggest anything else?

Still at wits end!
Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2023 Views 2,273 Applies to: