trying to sign into any network/wifi etc....the message appears that it cannot find Network discovery...and infact when I look nothing is listed, even wifi area. trying to correct seems impossible as I need to sign in to IE...and of course I cant.....

trying to sign into any network/wifi etc....the message appears that it cannot find Network discovery...and infact when I look nothing is listed, even wifi area.  trying to correct seems impossible as I need to sign in to IE...and of course I cant.....
Answer
Answer

Hi Cristinaladyjane,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

·         How are you accessing the Wi-Fi?

·         Were you able to use it before?

·         Was there any changes done prior to this issue?

·         Which browser are you using?

A)    Enable or disable network discovery

If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might prevent you from completing these steps.

By default, Windows Firewall blocks network discovery (formerly called UPnP technology), but you can enable it.

i.        Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

ii.      If network discovery is off, click the arrow button ‌ to expand the section.

iii.    Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

B)    The first time that you connect to a network, you must choose a network location. This automatically sets the appropriate firewall settings for the type of network that you connect to. If you connect to networks in different locations (for example, a network at your home, at a local coffee shop, or at work), choosing a network location can help ensure that your computer is always set to an appropriate security level.

Check the link “Choosing a Network Location”   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Choosing-a-network-location

C)    Reset TCP/IP

To reset the TCP/IP stack go to this article and either click on "Fix it for me" or follow the instructions to fix it yourself: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2020 Views 1,527 Applies to: