Sharing files between Windows 98 SE and Windows Vista Home Premium.....

Hello, I have a problem connecting Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Vista Home Premium.. In Win98, there is No Network Neighborhood icon.. I try everything to show it up but nothing happens.. There is no Network Neighborhood at all. One of my question is how can I show and use the Network Neighborhood to connect/share files with Windows Vista???Please help,, I'm just using crossover cable to connect the 2 PC. thanks....:)

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 6,903 Applies to:
Answer
yes, it's possible for sure!! I could even copy files from Win 95 via network.

What you have to do right now is assign IP address for both machine if you didn't do anything about this yet. Then you have to share folder in Win 98. Vista will be able to access that folder just fine by typing "//<IP-win-98-machine>/<share-folder>" in explorer.

I think that's the easiest way.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

ok, but when I create a new folder in a Dektop (as a sample folder to be shared) then right clicking on it choosing Properties, there is no "Sharing" at the top close to General Tab!!! I follow all the steps suggested by Ma'm Gloria but Network Neighborhood don;t seem to appear!!! Can I download Network Neighborhood if I reaaly can't find it?!!!...Thanks again.....:)

Well, I just tried on Win 98 se on VMWare. There is Network Neighborhood at first but no sharing tab. I think what you need to do is:

1. Go to Control Panel | Network
2. Check if you have TCP/IP protocol or not. If you don't have, then Add | Microsoft | TCP/IP
3. Click at "File and Print Sharing" | check at "I want to be able to give others access to my files"
4. Restart once! You will be able to share and hopefully "network neighborhood" will appear as well.

After getting shared folder, Vista will be able to access that w/o any problem.

Hope this help =)

Add : screenshot! i40.tinypic.com/2b9na9.jpg

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.