Question

Q: Shared drives not reconnecting - error "An error has occurred while connecting [drive letter]: to [share name] Microsoft Windows Network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

Original title:Shared drives not reconnecting

I have two PCs connected wirelessly. One laptop (Vista Business) has drives mapped to shares on the other PC (XP). Whenever the Vista PC is started or taken out of hibernation, or after a period of time has passed these drives are not available. Clicking on the drive in Explorer will show the message "An error has occurred while connecting [drive letter]: to [share name] Microsoft Windows Network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

If I click on "Network" within Explorer, the XP PC is not visible. The only way that I can 'reconnect' these drives is to go into my virus software (Trend) and open the Network Map. This shows the XP PC, and subsequently the shares are available via Explorer - the XP PC is still not visible by clicking on Network however.

This has only started happening in the last couple of months - cannot exactly pinpoint when, but fairly recently. I use the connections to store small files and back up a few critical files before tacking the laptop away and it is quite annoying to have to go through this routine every time.

Any ideas?

Answer

A:

Just in case this helps others - I have found that if I make sure that my XP PC has a fixed IP address, and then set up the shares so that they are defined using the IP address and not the share names then I no longer have the problems - seems like it is something to do with Windows resolving the share names rather than anything to do with the personal firewall after all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

29 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 37,691 Last updated: June 20, 2018 Applies to: