Lose Internet Connection After Sleep Mode/Standby/Hibernate

I recently purchased a new HP Pavilion Elite e9105z CTO Desktop and migrated from Win XP to Vista Home Premium x64, with a NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller.  Whenever I come out of sleep- or standby-mode, I lose my Internet connection and have to either reboot my system or run the Windows Network Diagnostics to repair the network adapter settings.

I have tried several remedies available from the Internet; but unfortunately, nothing has resulted in a permanent solution.  I contacted my ISP provider (Mediacom) to ask if there was/is an issue with the firmware used to support my SBV5220 cable modem (e.g., non-compatibility with Vista) and they said there isn't.  To date, I've:

1. Reinstalled network card driver.
  2. Checked and reset power options with USB CDC.
  3. Applied update for Windows Vista (Default Gateway Setting is Lost ) for x64-based Systems (KB933872)--received response that update does not apply to system.
  4. Reset IP configuration via Cmd line.
  5. Under the Power Management tab, unchecked the box that turns off the adapter when power saving kicks in.

I access the computer several times a day and having to reset Internet connections has become extremely aggravating.  I hope there is a solution.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2018 Views 113,365 Applies to:
Answer
Returning from a 3-week vacation, during which my desktop was off, my local internet connection would no longer come active when it came out of hibernation.  The wireless functioned, but the local connection would not work unless I physically unplugged the cable from the router (Netgear) and reinserted it.

After several days of frustration I went into Device Manager, unchecked the  ethernet adapter option "allow the computer to turn off this device".

This seems to have cleared up the problem, at least so far... 

118 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.