How do I disable VPN settings?

VPN HELP

I created a vpn that i only need to use once in a while on vista. it doesn't work though. Now, when I try to connect to the internet, it ALWAYS tries to use the vpn I set up. How do I delete the VPN and once I do get it working, how do I make they system understand when I want to use it and when I don't?
Answer
Answer

Hi Hike,
Welcome to Microsoft Windows forums!

A VPN is a method of connecting to a private network by a public network like the Internet. There are basically two connections in VPN one for Incoming & another for outgoing.

STEP 1

Delete VPN Connection.

Open Control Panel  àNetwork and Internet à Network Connections

1.       Open “Network and Sharing Center”

2.       Click “Change adapter Settings”   in the left pane.

3.       Then you can see the adapters and the VPN Connection, and right click on VPN connection and select Delete.

STEP 2

Create a new LAN connection

1.       Click on the Start Button and type devmgmt.msc in the start search box

2.       The device Manager will open up and you will find the list of all the devices.

3.       Double Click on Network Adapters, you should be able to see your hardware for your LAN connection.

4.       Right click on the hardware and select Enable

5.       Now your device should show up in Network and Sharing Center.

STEP 3

Steps to create VPN Connection

1.       Click on the Start Button and click Control Panel

2.       Click on Network and Internet and under Network and Sharing Center click on  Connect to a Network

3.       You will see another screen with the heading This computer is connected to Network

4.       Click on the option Set up a connection or network which is towards the bottom of the screen.

5.       On the next screen choose the option Connect to a workplace and click Next

6.       Click Use my internet Connection (VPN)

7.       Enter the server information and check the box “Don’t connect now; just set it up so I can connect later” and click Next.

8.       Enter you VPNGates.com username and password. This is the same username and password that you use to log in to the VPNGates.com website and click on Create.

9.       Next screen you will see the message the connection is ready to use.

10.   Click on Close.

11.   Go back to Network and Sharing Center

12.   Click on Connect to a network again

13.   Click on VPNGates.com entry and click   connect.

Now you have setup a VPN connection over LAN

To switch between the two you may open Control Panel  àNetwork and Internet àClick on Network and sharing Center

On the left pane click on the option Manage Network Connections, here you will be able to see your LAN connection as well as your VPN connection.

You many chose either of these as per your requirement.

Try these steps and let me know the outcome.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Where-can-I-find-information-about-setting-up-a-VPN-server

Thanks and Regards,

Bindu S - MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2020 Views 21,030 Applies to: