Firewall/Proxy problem? - Unable to connect when using MSN Messenger or Internet Explorer

I'm having problems connecting into some programs for example msn messenger, internet explorer & etc. It always tells me i have a network issue or something to do with the firewall. For instance, when i sign into msn messenger it says "Windows Live Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking Windows Live Messenger from connecting to the service. Please review your firewall settings. See retailers instructions for more information."

I have checked the firewall many times I've even turned it off but it still will not let me access those programs or websites. I've also done the diagnose and repair but it says I'm connected to the internet, and the internet works fine except for connecting to other things. On windows live messenger when I check the troubleshooting it says "Failed to connect to the service. Please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy settings can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger options. For firewall settings, please see the retailers intruction's." 

I'm not sure how to fix this, so can you please let me know?

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You may try the following:

Step 1: Check if any proxy server is enabled.

a.    Click start.

b.    Type “inetcpl.cpl” without quotes and hit enter.

c.    Click on the connections tab.

d.    Click on LAN Settings button.

e.    Uncheck the option under Proxy server.

f.     If the proxy server is already unchecked then toggle the options under “Automatic Configuration” and save the settings and then check if the issue persists.

Step 2: The security software installed on the computer will also have a firewall. Check the settings and disable the firewall within the security software and see if that makes any difference.

Once the troubleshooting is done, make sure that you enable it.

“Disable Security software”: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Disable-antivirus-software

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2023 Views 10,060 Applies to: