Failed to detect Internet connectivity - Windows Vista Connect.dll Error Message

I have been having internet connection problems for a long time now. I get this error message (which I only got because my wife tried to use Windows Messenger and it came up in the diagnostic test.

Component GUID:{7071ECA3-663B-4BC1-A1FA-B97F3B917C55}
Component file: [C:\Windows\system32\connect.dll]
Error: (0x8007277B) .

Additional Info:
Failed to detect Internet connectivity

---

I cant connect to the internet using I. E. or any messenger program. I cannot update windows. But, my firefox works. So the internet connection is somehow there, but its like windows cant find it. I also cannot connect to the itunes store.

Does anyone know a solution for this? I tried everything on this page: http://solutionslog.blogspot.com/2008/10/windows-vista-connectdll-error-message.html

And nothing worked. Im close to just wiping my hard drive.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2018 Views 18,593 Applies to:
Answer

Hi NiteStryker,

Are you able to connect to the internet by booting your computer in Safe mode with networking?
To boot the computer using the option: Safe mode with Networking
1. Use F8 while restarting the computer.
2. Select Safe mode with networking under Windows Advanced Boot Options and hit Enter.

Login to windows in Safe mode and check if you’re able to connect to the Internet using Internet Explorer.

If you’re able to connect to the Internet, then try performing a clean boot to eliminate any conflicting software.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: Do not forget to put the computer back to normal startup once you’re able to get rid of the conflicting software.

If you’re not able to connect to the Internet in Safe mode with Networking, then I would suggest you to re-register the following dll files in Safe mode itself.

1. Click the Start menu, in Start Search, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), right-click on cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator.
2. Run the following commands pressing Enter after each one.
regsvr32 Netshell.dll
regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 Netman.dll

3. Once all the dll files are re-registered, check if you’re able to connect to the Internet by booting the computer back to the normal mode.

If this did not work, then you need to remove all the network adapters in the Device Manager and re-install the latest driver for your Network Card.

Hope this information is helpful.
Post your results back.
Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.