Ethernet Wired Network Internet Connection Lost Drops Wireless

I have a 7 64-Bit Desktop with 7GB RAM and a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. I initally connected my Desktop directly to my gateway/cable modem/router via ETHERNET cable. I noticed one day that I would loose my connection to the NETWORK and to the INTERNET randomly ALL DAY LONG. So, I checked all of the cable connections and made sure that the connections were TIGHT and SECURE. My NETWORK and INTERNET connections were still dropped constantly. I then went into the NETWORK ADAPTER settings and looked around. Everything seemed fine there. I then changed the Windows POWER setting to POWER SAVE or ENERGY SAVE mode. That did not help. I changed the setting back to RECOMMENDED MODE. That didn't help. I still would loose both connections all of the time. I thought that maybe my OS had become corrupted or something. So, I performed a SYSTEM RECOVERY from the Windows 7 Recovery Discs I made when I got the PC early this year. (that seemed to format both of my internal hard drives, so be careful). After getting everything up and running, I still would loose both the network and internet connections randomly. I then turned to my ISP. They replaced the cable mode/router/gateway, cables and splitters & checked the line signal. There was a line signal problem that made the modem/router/gateway drop PACKETS, but they have solved that problem. After all of that, I still loose connection all of the time via ETHERNET cable. I then thought of trying a USB WIRELESS ADAPTER that the cable company provided. I would loose connections with that as well. The cable company told me that there was something wrong with my computer on a few occasions. I doubt it. It's relatively brand new, plus it was working fine before I had them setup the cable line in my bedroom AND it was working fine at my previous address. Once they set up the cable line in my bedroom, that seems to be when  started having issues with NETWORK and INTERNET connections. What else did I try? Umm...Oh, before I tried going wireless, I swapped ETHERNET cables for a BRAND NEW CABLE. Of course, that didn't solve my connection problems. I also went into the interface of the modem/router/gateway (I've had three different ones from three different manufacturers) and checked all of the settings. I have DHCP setup correctly. I do have QoS disabled (I don't know what it's for anyway). Last night I changed the DHCP LEASE to FOREVER. I thougt maybe that would solve the problem. That was last night, so I don't know for sure. With the latest router/modem/gateway that I have, the initial setting was for a week. I guess that is about how long it takes nowadays. That just might be the solution. We'll see. But, if anyone has any OTHER possible solutions such as, the wired and wireless adapter settings that I might need to change. I have a REALTEK PCIe GBE Family Controller version 7.23.623.2010 for the ETHERNET adapter. I have AUTO DISABLE GIGABIT and JUMBO FRAME disabled. I have INTERRUPT MODERATION, SHUTDOWN WAKE ON LAN, FLOW CONTROL, RECEIVE SIDE SCALING, WAKE ON MAGIC PACKET, WAKE ON PATTERN MATCH, and GREEN EHTERNET enabled. I have SPEED & DUPLEX set to auto negotiation. I have TCP CHECKSUM OFF-LOAD for IPv4 and IPv6 both set to Rx & Tx enabled. I have WOL & SHUTDOWN LINK SPEED set to 10 Mbps First. Also, under POWER MANAGEMENT for the ETHERNET ADAPTER, I have it set to that the PC can turn off the adapter to save power. I just placed a CHECK MARK there a second ago. Maybe I should turn it back off. Oh yeah, my cable internet speed is 25Mbps. Please respond with some very useful information and good advice. I appreciate it!

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2018 Views 2,477 Applies to:
Hi TrueManBearBank,

1. Is the other computer on the network able to get to the internet?
2. Is your computer on any domain or workgroup?

Method 1:

Try these commands in command prompt and check.

To do that:

a. Click on start button.
b. Type "cmd" in the search field.
c. Right click on the cmd appearing above and select run as administrator.

Type in these commands and hit enter.

Ipconfig /release
Ipconfig /renew
Ipconfig /flushdns
Ipconfig /registerdns
Nbtstat -rr
Netsh winsock reset
Netsh int ipv4 reset

Method 2:

Step 1. Verify the IP Address being given.

If the IP address is valid or correct, then try accessing the internet with another internet browser.

Step 2. Ensure the Link and Status light is lit accordingly.

Step 3:

Power Cycle your modem and router to reset them and allow them to re-establish a connection to your ISP.
Follow these steps to completely power cycle the devices in your network connection:

a. Shut down all computers connected to the modem/router.
b. Power down/unplug the router if you use one.
c. Power down/unplug the modem.
d. Allow to sit for 60 seconds, unplugged.
e. Turn on the modem, allow to completely boot up till the front panel connection lights show a steady connection.
f. Turn on the router, if you have one, and allow to completely boot up as well.
g. Start the computer(s) and allow to completely boot up.

Step 4. Check for the issue with alternate user accounts.

Step 5. Try clean boot.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Method 3: Test with a new network adapter
The problem could be related to the network adapter. As such, try with a different adapter or a new adapter if possible and see if the problem returns.

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi TrueManBearBank,

Thanks for posting your question on the Microsoft Answers website!

Suresh has since responded with a post that should work for the issue you posted. If possible, could you return to this thread and mark the correct post as the answer by clicking the “Mark as Answer” button at the bottom of the post? Otherwise, please return and give additional details about what didn’t work so the community can help you further troubleshoot.

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread contains an unconfirmed solution by the original poster and has been left unanswered. Microsoft Support will no longer attempt to contact the original poster.

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Sorry this didn't help.