dependency service/group failed to start; cannot start diagnostic policy service

I have windows vista home premium. I've not had a problem connecting to the internet before. Then just today, I cannot connect to my router, either by wireless or ethernet.  The router is fine, as my housemates are able to connect.  The signal strength is also excellent, but my computer is 'connected with limited access'.   The message I get is: 'Connection status unknown. The dependency service or group failed to start.'  When I click Diagnose and Repair, it says Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy Service is not running'  It then gives me the option to open the Service Control Manager to manually start the Diagnostics Policy Service.  This opens a Services window with a massive list of stuff I don't understand.  I've searched for solutions to the problem, and none have worked.  Any advice greatly appreciated.
Answer
Answer

Hello, Lesley

Thank you for using the Microsoft Answers Forum!

The following information was taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk!

It is possible the permissions on a specific registry key was altered. You can try correcting this by going to Start, type regedit in the command prompt, right click the regedit program and select Run as Administrator. In the Registry Editor click the arrow to expand the selection, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, DPS, right click Parameters and choose Permissions.  On the Permissions screen, select the TrustedInstaller user. If you do not see the TrustedInstaller user, click Add, type NT Service\TrustedInstaller and press OK. Ensure that the Full Control and Read permissions are checked for the TrustedInstaller user.

Let us know if this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

201 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2020 Views 164,451 Applies to: