Can't Enable VIsta Printer Sharing

Any ideas why I can't enable printer sharing? I have an HP932C printer hooked to my Vista computer that I want to share on my home network. Whenever I enable printer sharing and "apply" I get an error message that "printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed." Error (0x0000007a). I checked the firewall and printer and file sharing is checked. Thoughts?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 7,775 Applies to:
Answer
In Networking and Sharing;

1. Is your network set as Public or Private? Public restricts Discovery and Sharing settings.. Private (Home or Work} allows full Discovery and Sharing, but is more vulnerable unless proper security is used (Encryption Key, NAT modem or router). Home networks are usually set as Private. Across from your Network name click Customize to change setting to Private.
2. Just below Customize, click on View status. Local Area Connection Status box will come up. Click on Properties. Is File and Printer sharing for MS Networks listed and checked? If it is not installed and checked, you can't share.

Also, is there a password on the account? Vista requires onefor sharing.
To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista, follow these steps.
  1. Click Start
    Collapse this image Expand this image , type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    Collapse this image Expand this image
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
  3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
  5. Click OK.
  6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
After the reboot, see if you can share it.

Also try enabling the "Administrator" account and try sharing it from there.

Also try Turning off Windows Firewall cand Defender completely.

~Scott Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
~Scott Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.