Big problem with NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol - Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer. What can I do?

Hi,
I turned my computer on yesterday morning to find that it wasn't connecting to the router. Knowing how rubbish the router often is, I reset it and waited for my computer to connect as normal, which didn't happen. I did this a few times and never achieved a connection.

So, I thought it might be the computer's problem and clicked the "Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks" button. I got the error message "Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer" and a button that was supposed to fix the problem. Of course, it didn't.

Looking around online, it seems many people have had this problem, but not many have had the specific one I've got - looking through all the dependencies I see that NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol has an exclamation mark next to it in my Device Manager. In Properties for it, it says that the driver is "Not properly installed or missing", but ndisuio.sys IS present and hasn't changed in my system32/drivers folder, so I don't understand what's caused this.

Edit: The properties box also has a "Start" and "Stop" button for the driver, and the Start button is the only clickable one. Clicking it does nothing.

I've asked around already, and people have told me to set the "Start" property for ndisuio in regedit to 2 then reboot, which didn't work; then run a batch file supposed to reset all networking defaults, which did something, but didn't fix it; then type in command prompt "netsh winsock reset catalog", "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" and "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log", which actually hurt more than helped - my network adapter stopped working as well.

Eventually, I did a system restore to 3 days ago when everything was fine, but my problem persists - Windows Wireless Services are not running, and NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol is broken. Can anyone help me please? I'm stuck without any internet, and have to wait to use someone else's computer to even access any help, which is rarely found.

Thanks in advance

ps - I'm running Vista Home Basic, with a Netgear WG111v2 adapter, not that it's the adapter's fault.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2018 Views 10,534 Applies to:
Answer
Hello,

If you have loaded SP1 and your DVD doesn't have it included then we will have to remove the service pack before doing an in place upgrade.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features.  Click on View Installed Updates to the left.  Look through the list, highlight SP1 and choose uninstall.

Go ahead and skip the Go Online part.  I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.. heh.

Brent
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.