After Win Vista Ultimate SP2 install: Static IP networking does not work after reboots.

All my network drives come up disconnected and I cannot route to the Internet when I reboot this Win Vista Ultimate machine after the SP2 install.  The machine had been working fine for years and would come up fine after reboots.

The machine is set up with a static IP address which is required for my purposes.  After rebooting, the network settings show up with no valid gateway address despite having previously set up the IPv4 addresses directly.

Workaround is to switch the settings to DHCP provided addressing and then rebooting.  After reboot, then I have to manually reset the static IP address.  Also, when the system boots with the networking issue above, the desktop network drive icons show up as disconnected (and can't figure out how to refresh those).

Additional Info:  The networking is via a PCI Gig-E adapter.  The built-in adapter is disabled (and uninstalled).
Answer
Answer

jcsoto,
Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

This issue has been known to have more than one fix.  Here is one that seems to fix it on a lot of systems:
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (I would suggest reading the entire article before proceeding)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 - this is a "fix it for me" article

Use a manual method to reset TCP/IP:
Note: This section is intended for advanced computer users.
The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
To open a command prompt, click Start and then type the following in the Search box and then press ENTER:
cmd
Right click cmd and select Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Reboot the computer.
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

One solution for Vista SP2 gateway issue:
1. Open the registry with regedit.exe
2. Go to the path: HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/Interfaces/
3. Here you'll need to select the CLSID of your network adapter where you change the settings. You'll probably recognize it by looking at the value IPAddress that will have the IP of this adapter.
4. Open the value "DefaultGateway" by doubleclicking it. You will see a list of all the gateways that disappeared.  Very likely, the first line will be empty.  Manually remove this first empty line, click OK and reboot your system.

Let us know if this resolves your issue or if you need additional help.
Thank you,

Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 8,176 Applies to: