Q: WSD Print device driver error prevents machine from entering standby This thread is locked from future replies

Hi all.  I've been struggling with this issue for a couple months, without success.  About my system:  Dell PC, Vista 32, SP2, using a Brother MFC 490 all in one that is connected to my network wirelessly. 

My problem is this:  a couple months ago, I noticed that the desktop refused to enter standby, instead showing a popup that stated, "the device driver for the WSD print device is preventing the machine from entering standby."  This is annoying at minimum, a waste of money and system life at worst. 

I've tried the following without success: restored the system to a point prior to the issue, updated the wsd driver, unistalled/reinstalled the wsd driver & device, uninstalled the Brother software (the printer remained on the system, thanks to auto detect), and banged my head with great enthusiasm on the keyboard.

Hopefully, there's a relatively easy fix!  Thanks for any suggestions...

Hello DFontanella,

The error message indicates that there is an issue with the driver, and is preventing the computer to go to sleep.

I suggest that you uninstall the drivers for the device. Unplug the device connected and try to load the generic drivers by connecting the printer back.

Also try to rollback the driver from the Device Manager:

To roll back a driver in Windows means to return the driver to the version that was last installed for the device. Rolling back a driver is an easy way to return a driver to a working version when a driver update fails to fix a problem or maybe even causes a new problem.

1. Open Device Manager. To do this, click Start, type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.

2. Right-click the device for which the previous version of the driver is desired and then click Properties.

3. Click the Drivers tab.

4. Click Roll Back Driver.

Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 15,928 Last updated: March 19, 2018 Applies to: