wlanapi.dll. missing

At every start up I get this message ..." The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll. ".

I have tried to get the new wireless adapter driver from the D-Link website but it just won't down load and when it does,
the wireless connection is stopped, until I use the install disk to re-install the drivers from the disk.

I have Googled it but have not found a simple or free solution.

I sure could use some help with this.

Thanks, Wolfe
Hi Wolfe,

- What exactly happens when you try to install the network adapter driver? Do you receive any error message or error code? If yes, specify the same.
  • This issue can also occur if you install (or reinstall) a device driver for a third-party wireless network adapter that was made available prior to the release of Windows XP SP3.
  • The %WINDIR% environment variable typically corresponds to C:\Windows, or the location where Windows is installed.

If you receive any kind of error message while trying to install the drivers, put your system in Clean boot state and then install the driver and check.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program. 

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7: 

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Additional reference on:

Error message every time that you restart the computer after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing happens when I try to install the network driver.
I still have connectivity but I get the a fore mentioned message box " The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll. ".

I went to the D-Link website (manufacturer of the adapter) and tried to download the newest driver but after installing it, I lost connectivity.
I then re-installed the driver using the install disk and connectivity returned.

Can you install a program like this in safe mode and would that work?

The clean boot sounds too risky for some one of my limited 'puter knowledge to try to use.
I would hate to make my computer unusable if I should make a mistake .

Thanks.

If any one would like you can use my private email : *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem solved....I went to the D-LInk website (manufacturer) and downloaded the new drivers to a flash drive.
I then , using Revo uninstaller, uninstalled the D-Link wireless program.
I then installed the new program (drivers) from the flash drive and that solved the problem.
Thanks guys for all y'alls help.
File this one solved!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2023 Views 11,832 Applies to: