Windows Vista 32-bit gets BSOD when 4gb of RAM inserted?

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit and until recently ran fine with just 2GB of RAM. I used Crucial to order new compatible memory so that my computer could run at the max of 4GB of RAM. After inserting the new RAM, I started to get the BSOD on startup, and if it got through somehow, it would BSOD again a few hours later. I have since removed the RAM because I am now aware that Vista can't handle the 4GB. I heard that there is a fix to stop the BSOD from happening, can someone please show me this fix so that I can just try to run my computer again?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 2,018 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Your new ram is not matched to the old ram. Try the new ram by itself and see if the computer
runs ok. If it does then either the memory is not the same (even memory that has the same
specs can be off enough not to work since high speed memory has tight tolerances). Another
rarer possibility is that the motherboard has a problem.

Check with the System maker (or motherboard maker if a custom built computer). There may
be BIOS, low level chipset drivers or other changes than help.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Another trick is to put the new memory in the first slots. If the memory can exist together the
fastest has to be installed first. Of course there could be issues that would not help.

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Sorry this didn't help.

All 4 sticks are 1GB sticks, so none are better than the others. I am currently running the 2 new sticks just fine. They work fine separately. I can even run the computer with 4gb, and my computer will recognize that on the "My Computer" window. I simply get BSOD occasionally, and it bothers me because sometimes it is difficult to start up again after it BSOD's.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Its not being better, its being identically the same including the tolerances allowed. As I said, even
memory that appears to be perfectly matched may not work together since the tolerances can be
off. Try the newer memory in the 1st slots and the older in the last slots.

Check with the System maker and even the memory maker.

===============================================================

Pretty much expect the problem to be a slightly off memory match. If you want to troubleshoot the
BlueScreens seperately here is how, though likely a total waste of time.

Check this thread for information using BlueScreenView, MyEventViewer and other methods
to troubleshoot BlueScreens - top 3 replies.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/thread/3deab2fa-4000-4136-8c78-a3d22b1db009

You can use BlueScreenView to paste the BSOD info into a message here.

VIEW - HTML Report ALL ITEMS    or  Right Click on a BSOD line and select same. Then copy and
paste the lines in to a message here. Be sure and check the filename section. Also check the time
in MyEventViewer for other possible information.

===========================================================

Check with these utilities to see if any information can be gathered :

This is an excellent tool for posting Blue Screen Error Information

BlueScreenView - Free - scans all your minidump files created during 'blue screen of death' crashes,
and displays the information about all crashes in one table.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

-------------

MyEventViewer can be checked at the time of the BlueScreen (BSOD) to within a second or so of the
time of the BSOD to provide more information as to possible cause - see TIP.

MyEventViewer - Free - a simple alternative to the standard event viewer of Windows.
TIP - Options - Advanced Filter allows you to see a time frame instead of the whole file -
set it to a bit before and after the time of the BSOD.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/my_event_viewer.html

------------

AppCrashView - Free - a small utility for Windows Vista and Windows 7 that displays the details of all
application crashes occurred in your system. The crashes information is extracted from the .wer
files created by the Windows Error Reporting (WER) component of the operating system every
time that a crash is occurred. AppCrashView also allows you to easily save the crashes list to
text/csv/html/xml file.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just have a hard time believing that Crucial would pair me with incompatible RAM. That is, after all, the purpose of that site, to scan your computer and existing RAM and slots and make sure you have compatible RAM for the existing slots that you're looking to fill. I believe this problem would be solved with KB929777 or whichever update that is, however when I try to install it, it says that the update does not apply for my computer. I have tried every method that I have read online to make it install correctly to no avail.

One method involved using only 3GB of RAM, which caused my computer to fail starting, regardless of the order of the RAM (of course the likes were together). This prompted 2 long beeps during POST. With 4GB of RAM, my computer started to what it is now, but seems to be glitchy, laggy, and is having some errors running certain programs, which isn't surprising based on how many times I've had to do a hard shut down. The update that I've been trying to install hasn't failed yet, but it has also failed to find any update. I have yet to experience BSOD though.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

They did not purposely give you ram that is incompatible. The tolerances are so tight that even
taking ram off the same production run may not work well together. This is a known issue when
dealing with memory upgrades. As memory gets faster this problem might and likely will get
worse.

Check with the System maker since if there is any fix they should know about it.

This is KB929777 if it applies to your system. Download link is included.

KB929777 Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more
than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm definitely trying to run Vista with more than 3 GB of RAM, so I believe that update applies. However, it seems impossible to receive that update. I can't install it with 2GB of RAM, I can't install it with 4GB, my computer won't start with 3GB, and this seems to be a common problem. It's not like the cards don't work together, they do for several hours before crashing. However, trying to install this update always results in, "This update does not apply". I've downloaded it just fine, but it refuses to install because it claims it does not apply. It most certainly does though, as this fix supposedly fixes the BSOD resulting from running Vista with more than 3GB of RAM.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version? 32 or 64 bit?

Are you logged on as ADMIN?

Try in Safe Mode?

Right Click on and RUN AS ADMIN.

If no help contact Microsoft direct as well as HP.

Microsoft Support
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, I got the 32-bit version. I am the only account on this computer, it is my own, so I am by default the admin. I have also tried in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode I am allowed to download it, but I am not allowed to install, as it says that I "Cannot perform this action in safe mode".

I have all other drivers and updates completed, the only other problem I can think of would maybe be the BIOS. It's listed as Phoenix Technologies, LTD ro1-b4 2/9/2007 on my system information. Acer's website shows only drivers and a BIOS update for my computer, all of the drivers I have currently. The BIOS update I am... holding off to get, as I hear that can be risky at times.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please zip and upload the dmp files from the folder C:\Windows\Minidump to your Skydrive [1] (copy the dmp files first to your desktop, if you can't upload them) and post a link here, so that I can look at the dumps.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Sorry this didn't help.