"Windows could not start the Smard Card Resource manager Service on Local Computer: Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

Original Title: Microsoft Smart Card Base Components Corrupted (Vista)

Hello all, I have a problem with a smart card reader.

After much communication with Vendor, we determined the problem lies with Microsoft Smart Card Base Components (SCBC). Despite installing latest drivers, software, uninstalling prev versions etc, problem still exists. A diagnosis program with the Gemalto software I use also points to the SCBC being corrupted.

If I try to start the service I get the error:

"Windows could not start the Smard Card Resource manager Service on Local Computer: Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

I am logged on as administrator. I tried downloading and installing the latest SCBC from microsoft but this does not fix the problem.

I tried renaming all the components that this (SCBase.exe) installs before installing again incase one of these were corrupted. I could do this for all but:

scardsvr.dll, scarddlg.dll and winscard.dll

as "permission is required to change" these files (Even logged on as local admin). I have even logged on in safe mode to try to rename/delete/move these files with the same result.

As the Smart Card Base component service will not start, it can not be anything to do with the drivers etc of the smart card, and the card and reader work on other machines.

Any help would be greatfully recieved

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2019 Views 3,496 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hey riggadoo,

Try granting full permission to the three files. Having done so, rename or re-register those files.

Here’s how:

a)   Go to Start and type cmd.

b)   Right-Click on cmd and select “Run as administrator”.

c)    Type the following command and press ENTER:

TAKEOWN /F <filename>

(Replace the text <filename> with the full path of the actual file.)

If the operation was successful, you should see the following message:

"SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "filename" now owned by user "Computer Name\User name"."

d)   Then to assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the file, you may use the ICACLS command. Use this syntax:

ICACLS <filename> /grant administrators:F

This should give you full permission to those files. After renaming the files, install Microsoft Smart Card Base Components. See if this helps in starting the service.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.