VISTA will not start up. ntoskrnl.exe missing/damaged.....

have a problem that cannot be fixed by the suggested ways.
VISTA wo'nt start up because:the ntoskrnl.exe can't be loaded deu to damage or missing this file.I've tried to fix it with my VISTA DVD,and even tried to see if I could overwrite that file by putting the HDD in my other PC.I can see everything on that(now 2nd HDD) on the PC!!I want to know how to fix this please.
 also noticed that my newest PC-HDD had an much older version of that file is: 6.0.6001.1845 (18-2-2009),and the new not working HDD is: 6.0.6000.16754 (19-11-2008)
I've tried to overwrite the old file with the new one on System32,but it would not let me.PLEASE Help!!!

PS:ofcourse i've tried system-recovery and to fix it with the repairmode of the VISTA DVD.
It would make me verry sad if i would loose al my 500Gig of working games,games and programs i bought online,such as a lot of Flight Sim addons..that has cost me a fortune!!

I wish someone can help me repair that file,so i can just put the HDD back into my good PC!!
I would be VERRY!!! greatfull!!!

And now i know how to make partitions,I will make sure that Windows,games and stuff i paid for and pictures will be kept appart by those partitions!

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2018 Views 4,376 Applies to:
Answer

• Thanks zwaantje for your post to answers.microsoft.com

• There are a couple of questions that I have pertaining to your issue that would probably help to define a more certain path to take involving this issue.

1. Is the hard drive stable?  Have you been able to perform any hard drive diagnostics, possibly outlined by the hard drives manufacturing vendor to determine the health of the drive?
  2. If the hard drive is stable, since, you have the drive in the second slot on the other PC that you mentioned, make a copy of the hard drive for backup purposes in that PC.  The DVD's as you suggested or a tape drive or some source you can back the critical data to would be the best steps for performing a backup on that drive.
  3. After you do the first two steps, follow the steps below to perform an INPLACE UPGRADE and let us know if it resolves the issue.  (However, keep in mind if the hard drive is bad, the issue more then likely will not get resolved by the inplace upgrade-due to bad sectors on the drive.)
  •  
  • If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, refer to the following steps.
    1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    • If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Let us know how it goes.

Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.